• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best cpu for 3.5 ghz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

snoturtle

Registered
Hello

I need some help

I actually plan on building a single cpu box :)
first one in about 10 years
lol

but anyways
I want a game box and would like to try for 3.5 ghz or as close to that as I can get

The thing is is that I have no idea what a good MB or cpu to do this with would be

Not to worried about cooling either since I can either use good air cooling or if neccasary use water

Thanks in advance :)

Snoturtle, I'd guess that you'll be running water cooling if you want to OC to 3.5.

What's your budget??

Some of the C1 2.66 and 2.56 chips are supposed to go pretty far, but if you want the best, 2.8 will get you to 3.5 with water.

Yeah... but if you can wait a month or so, do it,a s the 3.06 will be out, and will have the nice hyper threading stuff....

Hi

HT is nice :)
can't what until I finish building my new dual xeon box :)
got the board and chips
just have to find a nice 4u and some drives :)

As for a budget I would like to keep it under $1000
would liek to keep the cpu around the 2-3 hundred area :)

Buy a Prescott next year.

Sorry, but I wouldn't assume you're going to be able to get 3.5GHz out of any Northwood without extreme cooling measures being taken. Not even the 3.06. A few may do it, it MIGHT do it consistently, but I wouldn't COUNT on it until a ton of people have done it, and not too many people are going to lay out $600 in November to try.:)

3GHz looks like something you can pretty much count on from C1.

snoturtle said:
As for a budget I would like to keep it under $1000
would liek to keep the cpu around the 2-3 hundred area :)
3.5 GHz is a bad number to choose - as Ed pointed out, it's a bit too high to expect from this generation of P4s.

If you aim for 3.2-3.3 GHz instead, life becomes much easier. *Any* C-1 P4 should hit 3 GHz, and 3.2-3.3 GHz is somewhere between possible and probable. So buy a C-1 2 GHz P4 ($174 on Pricewatch), and run it with a 160 MHz FSB on a suitable motherboard (845PE or Granite Bay). Just be damned sure you get a C-1.

Hi
maybe 3.5 is a little high for now :)
what would be the best motherboard/cpu/memory combo to
hit 3.0 or a little more?

also does anyone know where I can get one of the C-1 steping
P4's?
somewhere that I don't have to pray that I get one :)
preferably one I can just call/email and get one

Thanks

Soapy said:

3.5 GHz is a bad number to choose - as Ed pointed out, it's a bit too high to expect from this generation of P4s.

If you aim for 3.2-3.3 GHz instead, life becomes much easier. *Any* C-1 P4 should hit 3 GHz, and 3.2-3.3 GHz is somewhere between possible and probable. So buy a C-1 2 GHz P4 ($174 on Pricewatch), and run it with a 160 MHz FSB on a suitable motherboard (845PE or Granite Bay). Just be damned sure you get a C-1.

your guaranteed a c1 stepping if you get a 2.5, 2.66, or 2.8. c1's will be released for older clock speeds (i.e.- 2.26, 2.53) but only after they have purged the inventory of all the old ones. so if you want to get a c1 stepping northwood with no worries, get one of the three mentioned above.

jeff

Even getting around 3.2Ghz is not easy without the 2.8 and higher chips cause asking 600mhz from a 2.66 is a little more than you can ask for since these C1 run warmer than the B0s. I mean asking a 2.26, or 1.8 to go 600mhz more isn't a big deal but those are the classic mad OCers. So with a that budget, it's probably not a good idea to buy now, maybe get the 2.66 after the 3.06 comes out, after the first price drop, the try that, cause even the 2.8 won't be around 200-300 range then. The new HT board is good if you plan to upgrade, Asus P4PE. You should also consider waiting for Dual Channel MBs. Corsair XMS is best ram in town, 3500 is best, if you can't get that 3200 is good too.Good luck.

Back