• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bennieboyq

Registered
hey boys....just wanted to bring the temps down on my cpu and was wondering what the best heatsink and fan are on the market right now for a 2.2 p4...not really more than 50ish mabye a lil if its worth it but what can give me quiet and good cooling...thanks alot...q :D

do you know where i can pick one up on the net....and how much they are...do you have a link??? aight...thanks alot ....q

I agree with Penguin. My SLK-800 is doing a great job. I just need a huge fan like a tornado on it.

You can do OK with a Panaflo H1A 92mm on an AX478, with an 80-92mm adapter. However, if you are really looking for good temps, you should go with some budget water; the only way to get really good temps with air is a screamer, and you said quiet ;)

ok well...will the slk800 fit my p4 cause it says its for an XP will i have to buy an adapter?...and what fan should i get...i was liking the panoflo 32 or should i just go all out and get the vornado??? im not going to be pushin my cpu to hard i just want the temps a lil lower and do some small oc'in..he dont we all...ok well i think im leaning twords the slk with a vornado..just for kicks...as long as it will fit my p4.. thanks alot q

hey..what do you think about the Thermaltake Volcano 7+..it looks pretty good and i like the fact that i can change the speed and noise levels....does anyone out there have this one and have anything to say about it or complanits...thanks... q

bennieboyq said:
hey..what do you think about the Thermaltake Volcano 7+..it looks pretty good and i like the fact that i can change the speed and noise levels....does anyone out there have this one and have anything to say about it or complanits...thanks... q

Joe wrote a review of the heatsink here
well worth your time reading if you have not already

My thoughts on ThermalTake's Volcano 7+? Very good for the price, very popular, and the only problem's I have heard have been resolved by a quick lapping or re-insterting the CPU.

The Volcano 7+ is a very good heatsink; top in the ratings, decent fan, compatible with both AMD and Intel, etc. However, for a little cheaper and better performance, plus greater control, an AX478, Vornado, and RHEOSTAT will work the best. You can go all out if you want, or go quiet, but still cool.

I'm kind of partial to Swiftech's products myself, for air cooling. The finish on them is first rate and they also are some of the best performing heatsinks on the market. They just came out with a newer version of the MCX462/478 series that has a thicker base(.5 in. of copper:eek: ) and more pin fins than the older MCX462. Plus, they will work with both socket 478 and also socket 462, so if you decide to switch to the "dark side" later, you don't have to get a new hsf. They aren't cheap, but you get a very good product.

Also, another thing to consider here is cost. The Swiftechs, SLK-800, and Volcano 7+ are all quite expensive, whereas the AX-478 is relatively cheap. Yeah, you may not get the absolute best, but 1-2 degrees isn't worth twice the price.

I agree that I prefer swiftech, gives the same performance at lower noise than the others....only drawback is the price, for budget id say the ax7 is best, never owned one but a lot of people seem to like them.

Back