• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Noob friendly Manjaro Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Time-Bandit

Hi there,

My PC details are as per my signature. I am looking/wanting to know what is the best Manjaro Linux build for noobs as I am wanting to dump my swtich games to run on my PC so I can play at higher resolution.

Apparently AMD gpus have an issue throwing up the font style of the Yuzu emulator and I have been advised to try Manjaro build with MESA.

I was suggested using Gnome build but another person suggested not to use that due to bloatware and to use XFC I think it was.

Just looking for opinions please.

Cheers,

Bandit.

That system should comfortably run most linux distros. GNU/Linux is a little bit unique as an operating system because it is built out of discrete pieces with individual development trees, vs a proprietary OS may have the same pieces but all built to work only with other proprietary software. On the other hand, many parts of GNU/Linux distributions are freely modified so there become different versions or branches of similar software.

I haven't been in the game recently, but look for a distro that is easy to set up / install, and has a package manager (this will aid in adding and removing programs, as well as serving to handle dependencies, which can be roughly analogous to what the registry does in windows. Again that reference is technically inaccurate but gives a general idea. After that it comes to personal preference. Have fun!

Manjaro is a noob friendly version of Arch Linux. It's a rolling release distro and gets updated frequently. However that also can cause system to break if something goes wrong with the new builds. Mint Linux is a long term support distro based on Ubuntu which is also based on Debian Linux. More stable, but not the latest versions. The other things you mentioned are the desktop environments which are separately installed or come preinstalled on the version you install.

I would advise you to use the KDE build as it is the most optimized. It takes around 200 MB RAM less than Gnome counterpart.
And it takes up no more than 100 MB RAM than the XFCE counterpart.
So you get a better deal with KDE than in XFCE, Sure you are giving away 100 MB than XFCE but you get to customize your desktop the way you want.

Back