• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best/Quiet Heatsink/fan for p4 1.6a 478

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ozzy0627

Hi guys I'm about to buy a p4 1.6a for its great overclocking ability. I am looking for a heasink/fan that is not to loud and can help me reach upto 2.4ghz (need something quiet). I read alot of people saying you can get their with the stock fan. But I'd rather ad some umph to it. I would like to spend less than 40 dollars ... please help me and give me your expertise! on this matter!
Thanks Ron

This is a tough question, sort of like wanting your cake and eating it too. Generally, the quieter fans don't move much air. The louder fans usually run at a higher RPM in order to increase the air flow. However, the larger the fan is (greater blade area), the more air it will move, assuming the RPM is kept constant.

For example, my old P-III has a GlobalWin FOP heatsink. Originally, I used the 60mm Delta screamer 38 CFM fan, but the noise drove me crazy. Worse than my exwife's nagging. I replaced it with an 80mm Sunon high output fan that flowed 42 CFM. The 80mm replacement fan was much quieter and moved 4 CFM more air.

Ok, so the secret to a quiet CPU cooler is to find a good efficient heatsink and mate it with a really LARGE fan that runs at a low RPM speed. Specifically which one that is, I really don't know. Most of the quiet P-4 coolers I've seen are not that much better than the Intel retail cooler.

I think the Swiftech coolers are still the best available, but they are not quiet and cost considerably more than your budget. I've heard good things about the Volcano socket 478 cooler (don't remember the model). I've also heard that Alpha has a good heatsink that can be modded to accept a larger fan.

That's the key I think, using a larger fan. Most P-4 coolers, including the Intel retail cooler, use 70mm fans. Using a good 80mm fan will significantly improve air flow without increasing the noise. Even an Intel retail cooler would show improvements with the following cheap mods: 1) lap the heatsink, 2) use Arctic Silver thermal paste, and 3) replacing the 70mm fan with a better 80mm fan.

Last edited:
You just describe exactly what I am going through. I currently have 2 1.4 ghz amd computers with sk6 and delta's.....The sound is driving me nuts.

I was thinking on the same line as you... Trying to find a big heatsink that can fit a 80mm silent fan. I havent found one yet that will fit well.

I thought I would try the stock heatsink/fan for a while with some asII ....I don't really want to spend my time lapping it right now. I spent like 2 hours lapping my sk6....to look like glass.

Thanks For the suggestion ! :) anyone else?

I think the retail h/s fan is great. Just remove the thermal pad and slap some AS on there and you have sufficient "umph" for most ocing. These things are VERY quite too. :)

You might wanna try the AVC Sunflower. I own one currently and it works great. It seems like the perfect fit for what you need. The fan isn't the quietest, but it is definately more efficient than the stock cooler. They retail for about $30. Off the top of my head, this is what I can remember:
70x70x15mm Fan
33Cfm @ 5000 RPM
~38dba
.358 c/w
My system currently idles at ~23 Deg C and full load at ~39 Deg.

On that note......
I'm considering buying a Swifty, but does anybody know if the AVC cools better than a Swifty with a 80MM 40CFM fan on it? I hear that the Swiftech heatsinks are optimized for use with high CFM fans, i.e. Delta 60,80CFM. I'm not really looking to go deaf from a heatsink fan. :)

AVC Sunflower for $24

http://www.1coolpc.com/sunflower.htm

sunflowers.jpg

PS they do a decent Job, I had one before I went to h20 ;)

PS, I should clarify that I bough this Sunflower knowing that it would be just temporary until my h20 was setup. If I was going to use air cooling permenently I would have purchased a Swiftech.....The AVC was fairly cheap and did a good job temporarily

Last edited:
The thermaltake Volcano 7+ is a very good choice stay away from the all aluminum Volcano 478 though....

I think TC had good results from a Swifty with a 42 CFM fan. I have one of the 80mm Delta 60 CFM on my Swifty and it's not nearly as loud and annoying as the 60mm Delta 38 I used to have.

i honestly dont feel that you can hit 2.4GHz off a 1.6 w/out watercooling but i could be wrong, as far as quiet goes for get about it!! i got a swifty on there and the thing is loud as can be but i just tune it out! Watercooling will be very very silent and allow you to reach higher speeds but its pricey your going to need some serious cooling if you want to hit 2.4 i dont think anything quiet will let you hit that mark unless its h2O again this is all IMHO

i have been researching this exact same topic with the exact same chip for a few days now- i need a hsf form my 1.6a- heres what i found out-

People have been yelling at me to stay away from the Volcano 7+ and the Avc Sunflower- they told me that the Volcano 7+ doesnt sit right (depends on your board) and the sunflower just doesnt do its job-

they told me to go with a swifttech mcx487 but that is $70 and really noisy- so i've decided (for now) to go with the Alpha series ( prob the 8942) whit is about 42 buck- i have read mixed reviews about the Ocz Goliath- mostly on the good side - the best of course is the swift - but i sure as he!! cant afford it!

I've heard good things about the socket 478 Alpha too. I think there is some easy way to adapt a bigger fan too. I disagree with the post about not being able to reach 2.4 gig unless you have water cooling. It depends mainly on the amount of voltage needed to run at 2.4 gig. Plenty of Northies running air cooled at that speed if you don't need lots of vcore. However, I do agree water cooling would be a very quiet method of cooling though.

I had an AVC Sunflower but wasn't that impressed with it. Kudos to 1COOLPC for taking it back and refunding my shipping costs both ways! I am currently using an Alpha PAL8942 I picked up at 2CoolTek, which definitely better than the Sunflower, but still not the greatest. It does do a nice job of keeping the case nice a cool though. Since it sucks air off of the heatsink with a 5K fan, I removed the exhaust fan at the back of the case to allow the Alpha to draw in cool air from there. Since I have a blow hole vent in the side of the case, the exhaust from the Alpha fan gets blown right out of the case. I also drilled a vent in the top of the case and hooked up an 80mm exhaust fan there. The case temp stays around 22C, and since there's only one exhaust fan at the top of the case and the usual 80mm inlet fan at the bottom front, it's not that noisy. Nothing like my Asus A7M266-D rig with two 7K YS Tech fans screaming away cooling my two XP 1800+ CPUs!

I just ordered both the Alpha PAL8942 and the Thermaltake Volcano 7+. I got the Volcano from newegg and the Alpha from KD computers. I'm going to try both of them out on the woody 1.8a and see what I get. If the Alphs is better I'm putting the Volcano on my Athlon 1.33 AYHJA. I had it up to 1.55 (10x155) with my modified PEP66 so maybe I can gain a little there..

Oh, I recommend the Alpha.. I may be wrong, but I doubt it. I'll post my results when they get here.

Back