• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best screen protector type?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueNostromo

I purchased an S7 Active from a reputable seller on ebay, but it will most likely come with a scratched up screen. This phone has a built in protective polycarbonate layer over the glass that scratches easily but reportedly can be removed with ease.

I was wondering what type of screen protector would be best for drop/impact protection? Tempered Glass or TPU? I feel like the TPU would offer better protection because they are soft and would absorb a small amount of an impact. On the other hand I feel like the tempered glass would spread the force of the impact out.

What are your thoughts? I bought a TPU protector for now, I always end up cracking my tempered glass protectors (but not main screen).

I actually have a Turbo X Force, I'm guessing it has a similar style screen in that it's listed as shatterproof but scratches easily. I've tried both styles of screen protector, glass and plastic. The glass protector alsol cracks but nothing has made it through to the phone screen, and plastic, even the "scratch proof" stuff, still gets scuffed up after a while. These days I stick to the hardened/tempered glass. Most of the cracks seem almost puncture-like, like the phone was hit by a pebble or something, so I figure that the glass is better for that ype of damage for exactly what you were getting at, it spreads that out better.

FWIW, for most of these "shatterproof" screens, primarily gorilla glass, the biggest issue I've heard is impacts to the corners and edges of the phone, and the best solution for that being getting a case as well.

I use a Rugged Armor case
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Gal...hash=item3acc9b56b2:m:mKJ1M1ubfOp0a5ntEjeVkqg
Phone comes in and out very easy, and I can pretty much throw it at a wall and not even scratch the screen. The little rubber suction cup came off that holds the flap to the screen, but I don't care, it's a pretty good case really. I lost a screw and replaced it with a tiny nail I nipped. The 'lid' is too slick to use in horizontal but works well in portrait. My s5 has NO screen protector and looks brand new after like a year almost.

Back