• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Freakin screen protectors!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

I have applied screen protectors over 30 times and I still am never happy with the end result! I have the Omoton tempered glass screen protectors (3 in a box) and already messed up the first application. I wipe it first with the wet wipes, then slowly drag a microfiber cloth across the screen from bottom to top until I don't see anything, and I mean anything on the screen using a light too look at all angles. Ok, so far so good, right? Wrong.. As soon as I peel on the back of the screen protector, dust is back on the screen!
So after wiping that off AGAIN, I then notice there is already dust on the sticky side of the screen protector! Ahhh!!!! There has to be another way to do this. Does doing this in a steamy bathroom really help? Someone please give me some tips here! Thanks guys.

I had this same problem with my phone screen protector though... interested to hear any better way than the instructions!

I was going to recommend the steamy bathroom trick, but I don't know if it really makes that much difference. I always get dust in there :(. Anyway what I try to do is peel about the top inch off and make sure I get it lined up. Leave the microfiber cloth on the screen sitting on the screen. Now the part of the tape you peeled back, place on top of the microfiber, and pull both down as you set the screen protector on. Maybe this doesn't work as well with glass. Also again, mine are never perfect so YMMV, but this seems to work best for me.

I never used a glass screen protector before my 1+. The guy I bought it from sent it with all the peripherals for the phone included. I had some cellhelmet screen protector liquid I was going to use but didn't need it. The gorilla glass V was practically brand new. I wiped it down, peeled the glass protector cover off and applied it just as easy as can be. I had purchased a Tudia phone case that comes with a cheap plastic screen protector which I simply peeled off and the case fits the phone perfectly now. I highly recommend gorilla glass V AND cellhelmet protectant for all new t/s devices.

Not sure which version of GG the galaxy s10e has but it's not enough for me. I always keep my cell phones and pc hardware top notch so the resale value is much higher. I'll checkout cellhelmet protectant, never heard of it.

I'm using the one that came with my Mous case, works pretty good! I work in a machine shop, so I'm always getting chips in my pockets that I have to pull free from the fabric of my Nike dry fit pants. Its actually really decent for being plastic.

I got the Aramid Carbon Fiber, no loss of reception, nice texture, I don't find the case slippery at all, fyi :thup:

And if you have seen the videos, yeah it can take a good hit. No problem.

/ramble

I've noticed how only the most common phones get cases, much less a full ruggedized one. When the XperiaZ3 first came out, I had it for almost a full year and there was not a single friggin case and the stupid phone was full glass both sides. Even Sony's soft case was almost impossible to get which tells me they wanted the phone to break. The 1+3t I just bought was about as difficult. The Tudia I'm using was practically the only choice which is rifdiculous for a device that's on it's 6th version and is one of the best phones to be had. Iphone? They have HUNDREDS of models of all varying degress of ruggedness, same with samsung. It's absurd for a manufacturer like otterbox, among others, to only cater to a few phones imo. Unfortunately, the fully ruggedized phones are most always difficult if not impossible to root, which is a requirement for me in a 'smart'phone.
Cellhelmet has awesome magnetic dash mounts plus glass hardener and polish products all of which I can highly recommend from personal experience. Made in the USA too.
My #1 tip is never buy a phone with a glass back, ever.

I ended getting the screen protector on as good as I could for now. See pic. Got the new case too. I didn't realize the case already had a plastic cover on the front so I had to remove it with an exacto knife. Looks decent enough for now. Poeticcase1.jpg poeticcase2.jpg

Air bubbles.. bleh.. I just push them out... they mostly go away. I have one on the curve of my S9+.

Trust me, I tried. I've done everything I could. Must be dust or something on the sticky side of the protector already and I'm out of em for now.

@freeagent +1 for Mous cases. I got the last black marble iPhone 6S case on ebay for $56.

I used to work in a few cell phone shops and the best method I made was the door hinge method. Once you've put the tape down (2 or more for hinges and 1 for the handle but not applied to the back and fold it in half so you dont have to worry about it sticking to you) open the door then wipe the screen really good with the small alcohol wipe that is included and then the dry one, you can use a piece of tape to grab loose dust, on the screen, after. And for the love of God use an actual tempered glass one not plastic.

Last edited:
Taco never liked them bulky cases. I buy cheap(cheapest) screen protectors and silicone cases from china and create a steamy bathroom scene. Right in the shower! What happens next is extraordinary, I clean the screen, remove protection and apply glass. Works beautifully! (Edit: that hinge method does it every time):salute:

I remember those flip phones with 2" screen that had leather cases with 40 mil PVC screen sleeve, now that was heavy duty:D couldnt see a darn thing through that, if a speck gets under screen on these new smartphones, it a no biggie:thup:

screens are durable enough anymore i dont even bother with screen protectors, i mean by the time they get scratched enough to be bothered by it its time for a new phone anyways.

For air bubbles that won't push out sometimes you can get a fingernail under the tempered and lift it just enough to absorb the air bubble without messing up the adhesive.

I went back to plastic after I kept breaking the glass ones. But yeah the scratches are awful.

Also it seems like there is a common perception that when the glass protector breaks its "sacrificing itself for the screen" and saving the screen from breaking. Really the glass is nowhere near Gorilla glass and just breaks more easily. Probably not among posters here, but I encounter it a lot. Maybe it's perpetuated by salespeople.

I need the resale value. I keep a phone for most 2 yrs.

the way i look at it, is dealing with a screen protector for two years worth the extra 10 bucks you're gonna get for having a flawless screen? I just trade mine in to AT&T when the time comes they usually give a pretty fair price, no matter the condition.

Back