• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Value Overclocker?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bascotie

Registered
Hi guys,

I was in the Intel section and was told that these days, AMD is probably the way to go for value/performance when it comes to $200ish price range on CPUs (overclocking taken into consideration).

The i5-3570k seems to be a popular overclocker (seems like many get it to 4.3+GHz without much of a problem) and it runs for about $190.

What is a good rival on the AMD side within that price range?

This will be mainly a gaming computer (possibly a media server as well). Thank you!

for top clock speed only the choice would be the 8350 paired with a very good board.
for performance in working and gaming it's intel with a good gpu thats on top.
to me it's amd for just overclocking fun and intel if you want it to do something.

I have an FX 8350 (paid $190 CDN) on a Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 (paid $190 CDN) and a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO+ (paid $30 CDN) all running at 4.63GHZ prime 95 stable. I could go higher on the overclock but would need to go watercooling to get the temperatures down.

Thanks guys. It seems the other thread in the Intel section became the 'main' thread. If an admin could close this one please, so we can discuss it there. Sorry I opened another one, wasn't sure if I should bring the topic here.

Thanks for the tips Zebodog and caddi daddi. That seems to be the consensus

If the topic wanders in the original thread, you can have a staff member move it for you. I will lock this one and move your other to the general CPU forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back