• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Way to Share Files and admin work over the net.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SinsFeelNatural

I’m wondering what the best ways to share files over the internet.

The scenario is

Two systems. Both have broadband access.
1 Win XP Pro
1 Win 2k pro

We are currently using PC Anywhere for admin work but I am wondering if there is a better & faster option (possibly Remote Desktop?).

I would also like to be able to share fairly large files between the two computers with decent upload/download speeds.

Thanks

yeah remote desktop is good, but its its only files why not open an ftp server on both of them ? or VPN,

DDR-PIII said:
yeah remote desktop is good, but its its only files why not open an ftp server on both of them ? or VPN,

I tried the ftp but I want a always open channel.

I would i set up a vitural private network?

FTP is an always open channel....Not to mention the simplicity of just dragging and dropping file from internet explorer. Couldn't be easier and you have an FTP server built into XP already.

Another way is to make an admin account for each user on one anothers computer. Then do the following click start > click run > type in \\(ip here)\(drive letter)$ this will open a window to the hard drive you want to access with full right and access. have fun and becarefull.

LOL- just put trojans on the other boxes :p

Seriously though- be careful of remote admining tools- the security on some of those is so bad, they might as well be trojans :rolleyes:

That's why using the FTP is actually the better of the options. You can create username and passwords, kill anonymous access, set it to a different port other than 21 and be relatively secure, yet easy to access if your supposed to have access.

Kingslayer said:
That's why using the FTP is actually the better of the options. You can create username and passwords, kill anonymous access, set it to a different port other than 21 and be relatively secure, yet easy to access if your supposed to have access.

sounds good, that is def. what I am going to do.

Back