• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best XP bang 4 the buck

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OnDborder

I'm planning on upgrading my cpu pretty soon.
For the people who know better, what XP is the best performance for the money?
I don't think I'm going to upgrade my MB yet so I'll be using the set-up I have now.

i am going to have to say either the 1600 or the 1800. The 1800 is down to around 130 and when unlocked can be overclocked into the xp2000 default range. So, i think that is the way to go at the moment. The 2000 is still pretty high.

i would say the athlon xp 1700+ it runs at 1.47 but will do xp 1900 anyday of the week, and it is only 108$

THE AGOGA stepping and agkga are both good steppings, just ask the people u plan to buy from they should know

1600 and 1800.

With 1600, you would be able to get very high bus speeds same with the 1800. 1800 may look more slick since it would get to like 2300+ speeds or something like that.

peppy said:
THE AGOGA stepping and agkga are both good steppings, just ask the people u plan to buy from they should know

I kinda was planning on buying online..The sales reps rarely know what stepping the chip has.
I think the overclockerzstore is the only site I've seen where they advertise what stepping the chip has.

if u get the right stepping a 1600+ will do u good just take a look at my sig and it would go higher then that too if my ram werent holding me back (just ordered some pc2700:D)

EDIT: btw yes i am water cooled but i'v had it run as high as 42 or 43 stable this high and i know at least some air cooling can cool it to that temp

The Xps run cooler than the tbirds.
My athlon ran 5c hotter than my current XP w/ the same setup.

Stephen Castles said:
my friend bought a retail boxed amd xp 1700+ cpu, he got an AGOGA 'Y' cpu......lucky bastage...;)

Should oc well for him. Not to feel bad, this is the sort of luck I have as well.

how can u tell if it is an agoga stepping or what the stepping is on the chip? Does it say on the chip or does it say on the box when u buy it? Is it a random thing with the cpu's or what? Is there a huge difference and will i pay more?

It's on the chip, about the third or so line down followed I believe by the last two digits of the year and the two digit week.

if no one would mind, could i get an opinion of the same Q [bang for the buck], but in about 3 months where the thoroughbreds will be officially out for awhile, meaning athlon xp prices will be dropping rapidly :cool:

Back