• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bf1942 retail

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ninthebin

I have dialup :( and I distinctly remember the mp demo being laggy - I think that was mainly due to 512k joe jobs thinking it would be good if they hosted a 32player server...

but im wondering if any other dialup gamers out there have got bf1942 retail and how well it plays

am I gonna be the only noob still using dialup :'(

I wish BT would hurry that phat pipe into the side of my house soon :(

it does take a significant amount of pipe to play well i'm afraid... but i suppose if you find a decent server it would be bearable, although i havent personally tried it on dialup...

ninthebin said:
I have dialup :( and I distinctly remember the mp demo being laggy - I think that was mainly due to 512k joe jobs thinking it would be good if they hosted a 32player server...

but im wondering if any other dialup gamers out there have got bf1942 retail and how well it plays

There are a few dial up guys in my game clan. Even have one in the UK and he playes on US servers with us and does OK.

Most of the lag in BF1942 is caused by audio believe it or not. Turn your quality down to 11 or 22k and then go to the second page of the sound properties and make sure you have hardware acceleration checked (if you have an accelerated soundcard) and that will clear up a TON of lag.

I dont have problems with lag here on my end. But for me, checking hardware acceleration causes servere sound dropouts, to the point that I have almost no sfx playing at all within minutes of joining a server. I guess like other recent applications, the program was meant for WDM driver based sound cards and not VXD. Since Creative does jack you know what for drivers, I'm stuck with running the game with no hardware acceleration.

But on the other hand, I've read plenty of times before, that its actually better to not use hardware acceleration for sound. But definetly turn down the kHz. 11kHz is just fine for this game.

My 256k ADSL is just enough to play in 32 player server. But anything more, I'll get lagged out badly.
It's just quite ridiculous how much this game requires bandwidth. But a good game still. :rolleyes:

MPegger, what sound card are you using? We have just about every Creative card under the sun running this game and I don't think anyone in the clan has any problems.

SB Live! Plat (not 5.1), and Win98SE. The only drivers made by Creative available for 98SE and ME are VXD based drivers. This isn't the only program I have trouble with because of the drivers. PowerDVD and AtomixMP3 (two programs I use often) give problems as well. The game plays fine using software mode, but as I said, hardware accelaration causes severe dropouts, then audio loss. The other programs give similiar problems when I attempt to use them in hardware mode. I have used some hacked WDM drivers which allowed me to use the programs just fine. But the hacked drivers soon caused Windoze to get totally screwed up, so I went back to the old VXD.

I had memory resource issues with my SB live plat 5.1 and finally got so fed up I bought a Turtle beach Santa Cruz and haven't had a problem since.

Back