• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X or i7 9700k and other new build questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pepi93

Hi all,

My original plan was to get a i7900k with a Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi z390. Total cost would be $788 CND.

I'm now thinking, being an intel fan boy for this long, why not try AMD?

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X with a Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite Wifi. Total cost (comes in a bundle), $688.

I like the Gigabyte Aorus X570 Pro Wifi better, due to the usb type c (not a huge issue) and other small perks that the Elite doesn't offer. Total cost with the Ryzen would be $778 CND (no bundle with this board)

I understand that the i7 9700k is slightly faster in the gaming world and OC's higher. I'm a gamer but not pushing AAA titles to the max. I will use one GPU, no SLI or CrossFire.

I like to OC but just a modest OC is fine with me. I currently have a 4ghz OC on my 6700k and I've had it this way since I bought it 3 years ago? Maybe longer, can't remember. Basically, I'm not looking to OC for benchmarks.

I run a 1440p 60hz screen. My specs are in my sig. Not buying anything else and reusing everything that I currently have in my rig.

I'm pretty sold on the AMD combo vs Intel, mainly due to pricing and trying something new?

I guess I'm contemplating more on the Elite vs Pro board. I have looked at some reviews but I always like to come here and hash out ideas with members.

Another option is to get a slightly used but in perfect condition with box, all accessories ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) Z390 and pair that with the i7 9700k. I do like the ASUS because it matches my ROG GPU. This board would cost me $300CND.

Thanks in advance

I went through this same dilemma when my i7 8500k died. I went with the Ryzen 3700x. I'm not disappointed with my decision though I wish I could OC it more.

Since you are reusing everything you can from your Gen 6 Intel I would recommend verifying that your corsair vengeance will be compatible with Ryzen if you chose that route. I know AMD had issues early on but I think most of that had been resolved. I'm not 100% on that though.

Either way, happy hunting.

Thanks, I've already verified for both X570 boards that my RAM is on the QVL. The question still remains, which board. I do like the PRO better compared to the ELITE but it's not bundled.

The differences between the two motherboards are as you have outlined. It boils down to the feature set and how much you are willing to pay to get the features you want. VRM and other stuff is probably the same.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...FnsZYZiW1pfiDZnKCjaXyzd1o/edit#gid=2112472504

Looks like the Pro has maybe marginally better VRM but it probably wouldn't make a difference unless going sub-ambient or overclocking a 3950X. Both support BIOS flashback. Only the Pro supports SLI, but SLI is nearly irrelevant at this point. The pro as AX wifi while the elite only has AC. While the elite doesn't have the rear USB type C, it does have the 20 pin 3.1 connector so you could use a front panel type C.

I just realized that the x570 uses PCIE 4.0, while the Z390 does not. From the little I do know about 4.0, it's not utilized much and drivers are not great or is this old news? I don't plan to upgrade my GPU anytime soon but I do plan to put a M2 SSD on the new board.

Is this a good reason to jump on AMD?

At this point, PCIe 4 makes more difference in storage performance than it does in video performance. Graphics cards really aren't saturating the PCIe 3 bus yet. The new gen 4 PCIe SSD products offer significant performance improvement (mostly in boot time and large file transfers) over PCIe NVME 3x4.

Depends on what you need but 3700X will be cheaper, heat up less (still runs hot but at least doesn't throttle so easily), use less power and perform about the same (or better in the multithreaded environment).
I was comparing 9700K to 3900X recently and it was about the same as I said above, even though 3900X is already a 12 core chip.

Another thing is that soon it will be released a new Intel. There is a delay already but let's say in a month or a bit more you will see new processors and Z490 chipset. However, if I'm right then it won't be any better than the current generation. The CPU clock will be a bit higher but I wouldn't expect anything else.
I only wanted to say that Intel can be not worth to wait and the 3700X still seems like a better idea.

Re that PCIe 4.0. New graphics cards can use it but the performance won't really change compared to the 3.0 version. Top M.2 SSD will use it but you will see performance gain only in maximum sequential bandwidth which is not really important for a gaming PC as most operations are random.
It's still worth to get a motherboard with PCIe 4.0 simply because we have no idea what will be released in some months.

Considering that I change CPU/Motherboard every 3-4 years, perhaps it is a good idea that I get PCIE-4.0. I might wait until the new Intel stuff is released but I'll keep an eye out for upcoming bundles and sales. The only reason I'd wait is because when the z490 stuff comes out, it might bring the other prices lower. I'm really in no rush, my current rig does what I want it to do, but at some point in the near future I'd like to have wifi, proper RGB configuration since my board doesn't have headers etc and of course, newer architecture.

I'd wait a couple of weeks to at least see what the new Intel Z490 and Comet-Lake CPUs do.

...it will be here a lot sooner than some think. ;)

Z490 boards, at least some, will be PCIe 4.0 compatible for the Rocket Lake CPUs (which will be 4.0).

I love this board, the look, features and it would compliment my already ASUS GPU

ASUS AMD AM4 ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

A tad bit expensive but maybe they will bundle it :) I also don't plan to buy one of those 5000mb/sec m2 drives just yet as they are pretty expensive, so this upgrade will be for the future in terms of further upgrades.

Good advice EarthDog, I'll do just that.

Looking at the Pro Vs the Elite the boards are nearly identical with the pro having a slightly better VRM in that it can pull a few more amps with the added 4-pin connector both are 12+2 phase which is more than enough. The design is the same on both the pro has an additional heatsink for the M.2 and the USB Type-C at the rear. Both have a USB 3.2 Gen2 header on the front edge of the board but that requires a compatible case or an adapter. Honestly, for the $100 difference, I'd go with the elite.
As for waiting as Woomack said the new Intel is just another refresh and AMD will be releasing new CPUs in the fall. One thing about AM4 you still have an upgrade path without getting a new mobo.

I'd wait a couple of weeks to at least see what the new Intel Z490 and Comet-Lake CPUs do.

...it will be here a lot sooner than some think. ;)

Z490 boards, at least some, will be PCIe 4.0 compatible for the Rocket Lake CPUs (which will be 4.0).

I supposed to have a review sample this week but it was delayed by 2 more weeks. The same from 2 different vendors. Even though samples are already on the way then Intel will probably release this new series in a month as there was already news about it just "unofficial". Maybe you have a better source or already received some samples? :)
Anyway, I'm not really in a hurry as for now it's only a refresh and won't bring anything really new. I'm waiting more for another Ryzen "refresh" but it will take some months.

Back to the motherboard. If you are not replacing them more often then just look at additional controllers/connectors. AX WiFi/Bluetooth 5 or USB C are things that are pretty handy and won't be replaced for longer as these standards are not changing so often.
As Johan said, AM4 still gives a chance on an upgrade in next year+. I guess that AMD will change that when DDR5 will be on the market and this was delayed by at least 1 more year so let's say maybe in 2022/23.

Last edited:
Looking at the Pro Vs the Elite the boards are nearly identical with the pro having a slightly better VRM in that it can pull a few more amps with the added 4-pin connector both are 12+2 phase which is more than enough. The design is the same on both the pro has an additional heatsink for the M.2 and the USB Type-C at the rear. Both have a USB 3.2 Gen2 header on the front edge of the board but that requires a compatible case or an adapter. Honestly, for the $100 difference, I'd go with the elite.
As for waiting as Woomack said the new Intel is just another refresh and AMD will be releasing new CPUs in the fall. One thing about AM4 you still have an upgrade path without getting a new mobo.

I think this is a significant benefit.

I love this board, the look, features and it would compliment my already ASUS GPU

ASUS AMD AM4 ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

A tad bit expensive but maybe they will bundle it :) I also don't plan to buy one of those 5000mb/sec m2 drives just yet as they are pretty expensive, so this upgrade will be for the future in terms of further upgrades.

Good advice EarthDog, I'll do just that.

I'm seriously leaning towards this board. You live once in this particular reality and I don't change my parts often :) It has good reviews too. Nothing against the Gigabyte, just doesn't match my ROG GPU.

At least one more generation of AMD CPUs is expected to use AM4. AMD has stated they will support it through 2020, and the new release is expected this Fall. It makes sense that they wouldn't change to AM5 until DDR5 comes to market, but I didn't know that was so far out. So possibly two new CPUs on AM4?

I'd think Ryzen 4000 is the last AM4/DDR4. Next is for DDR5 in late 2021. Just as I imagine Rocket Lake to be the last DDR4 for Intel, then whatever they have in 2021 will be DDR5 as well... I believe. lol.

Back