• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BFG 7800GS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jedi Mind Trick

hey,
I'm clinging to agp, because i dont have the money, or the time to upgrade to pci-e. I have a decent system now- p4p800, p4 3.2 (OCed at 3.6), 2gbs of XMS, and a 6600GT. I mainly play counterstrike, which runs well, but im getting very crappy settings for Battlefield 2. I'm looking to upgrade to the 7800GS, and my system should be pretty high quality for another year or so until i can afford to upgrade.

I'm a little bummed because the 7800GS was $175 after a rebate all week, but the $60 rebate disappeared yesterday. Does anyone know where I could get the card cheaper than newegg's $235 (im NOT buying the albatron), or does anyone know if this price will drop or the rebate will return?

thanks a lot to any input or other suggestions

I think the one on Newegg is your best bet, never can tell when they are going to put a rebate on one. For Nvidia the 7800GS is the number 1 choice, followed by the 7600GT. Now, if you wanted to play for the red team the x1950pro AGP is the best ATI has to offer.

I'd hate to admit it as an nVidia fan boy as well but the x1950 PRO AGP is hands down compared to the 7800GS :(

ziggo0 said:
I'd hate to admit it as an nVidia fan boy as well but the x1950 PRO AGP is hands down compared to the 7800GS :(

Well, yes and no, it depends on what kind of overclock you can get on the 7800GS, in everything I have read they are actually pretty close in FPS in games. Now the x1950pro will beat a 7800GS in 3dmark05, but I have yet to see one beat my 3dmark06 score, so it's close.

If I were to be upgrading like Jedi Mind Trick is, I would go for the 512mb 1950pro, but I would not get one now since I already have a 7800GS, trust me I thought about it, but the gains are not worth $250.

Jedi Mind Trick said:
umm i cant find any AGP x1950PROs on newegg...

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, they are almost impossible to get right now, you'll have to wait a month or so, they sell out as soon as they come in.

The 7800GS is not a bad card, I know a lot of people will disagree, but the 1950pro isn't quite what it's cracked up to be, and I am not saying that as a nVidia fanboy, I have done a lot of research in to the 1950pro, it falls short in real world applications.

allright but when the x1950PRO is on stock, what does it usually cost on newegg... because if they are selling out this quickly, I dont see a price drop in the near future. I really am more of a geforce fan (especially BFG's LIFETIME warranty) and would probably go with the 7800GS if the prices were near. The only reason id go with the ATi over the geforce is if i could get 512mb instead of 256mb. My goal is about $200, HOPEFULLY less.

Jedi Mind Trick said:
allright but when the x1950PRO is on stock, what does it usually cost on newegg... because if they are selling out this quickly, I dont see a price drop in the near future. I really am more of a geforce fan (especially BFG's LIFETIME warranty) and would probably go with the 7800GS if the prices were near. The only reason id go with the ATi over the geforce is if i could get 512mb instead of 256mb. My goal is about $200, HOPEFULLY less.

Here is the 512mb model:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=326860

Newegg does not carry them yet, but I would assume the price would be the same, when they do get them.

WOW, thats impressive for agp- i LOVE the 512mb.

OK heres my thoughts on this. Im thinking I should wait a month or two to see how things shape up with the bfg, and the x1950PRO. My only concern is that since these two are really the last powerful agp cards I expect to come from nVidia and ATi, I dont see any significant price drops in the near future... except maybe mail-in rebates...

I really appreciate all the adive...
Any other thoughts or suggestions?

HEY!!

newegg JUST added a $30 rebate on the 7800GS...

also, with BFG having 16 piplines, and the x1950pro only having 8. unless you guys know something i dont, wouldnt the BFG have a HUGE advantage over the x1950?

Yeah, if I didn't already have a 7800GS, I would be quite interested in the x1950pro, but anyway, your right the prices will not drop, not on AGP cards.

So, I would say, if you want to wait for the 1950, that's cool, I don't blame you. But, I do have to say getting a 7800GS is by no means a mistake, and the difference between 256mb and 512mb on an AGP card is marginal, because the AGP bandwidth, basically to take advantage of the 512mb, you would have to have one Hell of a system.

But, anyway, good luck in whatever you do, and have a happy New Year, need any advice or help, we are always here.

I'm thinking I am going to go with the 7800GS. I like BFGs a LOT, and after what you said about the 256v512, and the fact that its going to be $80 cheaper than the x1950, I think its a better bet.

Thanks for all your help!

(what an awesome website)

Jedi Mind Trick said:
I'm thinking I am going to go with the 7800GS. I like BFGs a LOT, and after what you said about the 256v512, and the fact that its going to be $80 cheaper than the x1950, I think its a better bet.

Thanks for all your help!

(what an awesome website)

Yes, get it, I have a BFG and I couldn't be happier.

ziggo0 said:
They saw you coming so they put a rebate on there LOL

haha yeah

and they also just lowered it $7 yayyyy!

lets see the $30 rebate expires the 14th, so Ill wait until then to buy, hoping th e price may drop a little bit more by then.

Thanks Again Guys!

wow 533 to 700? thats nuts. Luckily my brother knows a ton about overclocking, so he could help me out with that... seems a bit risky though. If i messed up the card, would it still be covered under the warranty- because they would see its not a mechanical error but that i messed with it.

ChinStrap said:
If your adventuress at all there is a great volt mod for the 7800gs

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=200420&highlight=7800

People are getting some crazy clocks/scores out of this card.

:eek: WOW. that is INSANE.... they are getting 200mhz or more just by going from 1.1 to 1.3 in the bios???

i am hesitant to mess with voltmods on a card i can barely afford as it is, so doing that much just through the bios is awesome!
(THANK GOD I added all those fans to my case :D )

Back