• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BFG 7800GS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hahaha Newegg just lowered THEIR price back down to $200...

This card is going nuts on the egg- From $175 to $230 to $200 to $280 to $250 to $200- all within about 10 days!!!

Jedi Mind Trick said:
hahaha Newegg just lowered THEIR price back down to $200...

This card is going nuts on the egg- From $175 to $230 to $200 to $280 to $250 to $200- all within about 10 days!!!

That's probably about as good as it will get on Newegg now, a lot of people are starting to ready themselves for Vista, and all the resellers are lowering prices a bit to get a piece of the action.

Would I notice a significant difference if I went from the 6800GT in my sig to a 7800GS? I'v been doing some looking and I am torn between the X1950 and the 7800GS. Just looking for someone that has made a similar leap.:)

buckbadly said:
Would I notice a significant difference if I went from the 6800GT in my sig to a 7800GS? I'v been doing some looking and I am torn between the X1950 and the 7800GS. Just looking for someone that has made a similar leap.:)
I would say no. MAYBE if you went to the x1950pro it would be a big enough difference but from everything I have seen, the 7800gs is not a big enough jump over a 6800gt to justify the price.

And this is coming from a person with one so...

i think you will definately notice a difference- jumping up to 400/1250. Plus, the 7800GS will overclock much higher i believe. However, he's right, the difference in performance you will get is not worth spending another $200 on an agp system. Just use your 6800GT for now and if you want to upgrade, save for a pci-e system.

The only reason I am buying the 7800GS is because I've just "inherited" a 2nd GB of XMS, and a 3.2 rather than my 2.0- replacing my 6600GT with the 7800GS will make this system pretty decent.

Thanks for the replies guys:thup: guess I'll start saving then, I too will be getting 2G of XMS in a few weeks so I'll be set there.

Well, yes and no, I mean you see my overclock, that's at stock voltage. The biggest advantage to the 7800GS with the G71 core is temps, my idle temp is 40c, and load is 50c, that's with the huge overclock.
The main reason for the lower temps is that the g71 cores run 1.1v 3d as opposed to 1.4v for g70 cores. something else to consider is ambient temperature, Its summer where I live, which is why I cut another hole and fitted a 92mm fan to the side of my case blowing 2/3 under the card and 1/3 over it, made a good 10c degree difference.
volt modding isn't for everyone anyway, I voided the warranty on mine as I had to solder a link to stop the black screen lockup problem at higher clocks.
I do realise g71 cores are made on a smaller die.

Jedi Mind Trick said:
Yep, I was just getting ready to buy one from FRY'S when I saw this. Man did that make me :)
Yup, for that price, a 7800GS is definitely worth it in my opinion. Make sure you tell us how it clocks when you get it! :)

I upgraded from a x800xt-pe(RIP), similar in performance to a 6800gt, and there wasn't really a noticable difference stock. But once I overclocked the 7800GS there was a huge difference (scores in sig). at 500/750 it idles around 38° and 45° load. I'm gonna install those drivers deadman was talking about to see if I can get any higher before I volt mod it.

Picked mine up from Fry's. Came with the copper/clear heatsink with the blue LED and the G71 core.

I have an EVGA 7800GS in my wifes computer and it plays BF2 at pretty high settings at 1280 X 1024. Runs great just wish I hadn't spent $250 on an old interface but I had all the other equipment laying around to make a system for her except the GFX card so I was stuck had to do it :)

Well, you guys will be happy, I've had mine for 5 months now, and it still impresses me how it can handle games like FEAR, and man do they overclock.

Back