• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Black screen in game Troubleshooting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crapxxas119

I have an ati redeon x1300 pro which is supposed to bu used with a 350 watt psu and i am using a 250 watt one by dell. I took out everything that i am not using leaving me with a cd drive 1 hard drive and a belkin pci wireless network card.
I am using a p4 2.6ghz and the rest of the specs are in my sig.
So my graphics card is overclocked using ati tool and it has been set using max core and mem and the agp setting on catalyst control center is set at 4x the same as my mobo. I am playing crossfire (the game by z8 games) and it used to work well.
Now in game my gpu shut off about 20 mins in and by the sound of the fan speed i can tell that my gpu is in the 60s Celsius. The fan speed is 61% in the 60's and 50% in the 50's.
So the screen turned black and the most recent time it enabled vpu recover. Most other times the gpu turns off completely and i have to restart.
My agp was set at 0 in the past when it worked but is there any way to fix my problem and keep it at 4x and how does it affect my gaming (comparing 4x and 0).

OK first off, your hardware is very very old and from the sounds of it a little abused so it very well could be starting to fail...

Old Dell power supplies are awful! Not only is it a bad power supply but you already said its under powered for what specs suggest you use. This can also cause problems.

If your card is overheating now and it did not used to its probably got a ton of dust in it. Pull the cover off and start removing the dust from the card and everything else in the case with an air can.

If you still have problems how about you return the card to its factory default clocks and voltage and see if it is still overheating. Might also want to turn the fan speed up and keep it up while gaming.

Well, i just dusted it, and i read that the whole pc would shut off if i overloaded my gpu. And on the box it said 350 for a fully loaded pc.
Secondly, the gpu is at 60c and i could put proper thermal paste instead of the thermal pad.
My main question is what does changing the agp but from 0x to 4x do and is that whats causing my problem. Is it the temp in the 60s?

Back