• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BLACK vs WHITE exteriors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

intx

do they make a difference, other than in appearance?

I'm guessing that the black has a very very slight disadvantage, being a colour that absorbs light/heat energy.

Or is it somehow the other way around?

Are you talking about case exteriors? if so the colour of the case wont make a difference... however because it is metal that is painted it might trap in heat more then a metal unpainted case would.

Even if there was sunlight involved...

It's aluminum. It would make an unnoticeable difference.

The real difference between black or white?

Usually 20-30 dollars in monitors or cases because "black is cooler looking" apparently.

Amazing isn't it?

Yeah, I agree that aluminum has a better look than most cases. You might want to take a look at the black aluminum coolermaster case. I am planning to order the Antec P160 case. I think both are sweet cases, but coolermaster is more expensive.

this is an age old question and it appears color and even material doesn't make a difference. Some people go for aluminum but I've read reviews where aluminum vs steel cases (exact same case) and there was no noticeable difference. Only the Steel cases are heavier.....

And plastic (typically) is even lighter... (unless it is a ComCrap, er, Compaq/HP).

Case temp and case material are irrelevant in terms of case temperature. It is all dependent on case design and case airflow.

-Frank

Yeah, I have a Lian-Li PC61 (black) and the case itself doesn't feel like it's radiating heat. Maybe aluminum cases will make a difference as components run hotter in the future, but they don't right now.

Guys this topic has been covered there:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=305605
(read both pages plz)

HousERaT said:
this is an age old question and it appears color and even material doesn't make a difference. Some people go for aluminum but I've read reviews where aluminum vs steel cases (exact same case) and there was no noticeable difference. Only the Steel cases are heavier.....
It would make a difference if the *interior* was made black as well. As current interiors are clear / reflective they are indeed barriers to radiation.

Back