• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blizzard Forums (WoW, SC, Diablo) now to post your real name beside your post

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Do you agree with adding your real name to posts?

• Yes

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • No

Votes: 48 70.6%
  • On the fence

Votes: 9 13.2%

• Total voters
Oh it will sell well, but I think you would surprised at how many people won't buy the game based on this RealID BS.

And I'm surprised that people seem to confuse FORUMS with IN-GAME ID.

People will still buy SC2. Everyone who preordered the game will still be buying it. There won't be a noticable lack of sales of SC2 ( or the new WoW expansion, or Diablo 3 ).

Simply because this applies ONLY to the forums. Not your In-Game Name/ID. The person whom you just wiped the floor with in SC2 won't know your name, Just as long as you don't post in the forums.

Quite simply, Forum activity will significantly drop. And not just because the trolls don't want to get caught. But because regular people have legitimate privacy concerns.

Now, if they start implimenting this IN-GAME, so you know the real name of the person your going up against...then I could see a drop in sales. But until then, this entire F-up that blizzard has created won't change their profits one single bit.

36,000 posts in the WoW announcement and growing.

http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/

I think that about sums it up...

I believe RealID should work how it works ingame, friends will see your name on forums but non-friends won't. I think using your real name is considerably dangerous on the internet, from what I heard one of the moderators is avidly now being stalked. I also honestly don't think this will prevent trolls at all, they don't care. Identity isn't what holding them back, its their hateful personality that makes them want to stick around in cities and just spam about their day.

I think as well it is a really dumb idea, and while I could say I don't care because I never played WoW and never registered on any of blizzards forums, I do indeed care. I have a very common name in my area, there even lives one other person with the exact same full name (First Name & Last Name) ~2km away from here. Now I never use such forums and don't use my real name online, but what if that other guy nearby uses it, does some bullc*** and I get the problems?

excellent point, that's actually scary.

what happened to the ROLE PLAYING aspect?
it is an MMORPG even if most dont choose to treat it like one.

i don't want people from WoW forums looking up my facebook and I'm sure cute 15 year olds don't want 100 friend requests from random wow nerds every time they post.

What would happen if a person uses pre-paid card for Blizzard accounts? You go to a store, buy the card with cash, and use a proxy connection to setup your account. How do you track the users name that way?

What would happen if a person uses pre-paid card for Blizzard accounts? You go to a store, buy the card with cash, and use a proxy connection to setup your account. How do you track the users name that way?
You still have to put in your information to create the account.

It could be faked then couldn't it?
Of course, but once it is in, you can never change it. Meaning, if you lost your account and had false information in it, Blizzard wouldn't give it back since you couldn't prove that is you. Double edged sword.

It could be faked then couldn't it?

To recover your account you have to send in your ID.

Easily faked with photoshop but could present other problems as well.
I had purchased an account at lvl 60 and in BC I was invited to an official Blizzard tournament (due to doing really well in arena) and could not attend because they would only purchase tickets for the name on my account.

BTW, anyone on Arthas? Probably going to roll there for Cataclysm. I'm in Beta.. so if anyone's interested I can release all the updates with videos + screenshots via this forum. Just let me know.

Last edited:
they should hire our mods for a couple days. Banhammers for all!

Seriously though the obvious answer is to actively moderate the forums. I can guarantee you that I will not post in any forum that gives out my real name. I do not want any employer (not even 10-20 years from now to associate me with gaming.

They figure out i'm a gamer, it's all over, all the bad stereotypes of gaming get stuck to me and i'll never get a decent job anywhere. They will just say oh look a lazy gamer that probably plays 10 hours+ a day, not even worth my time... "next application... ahhh someone much less qualified but doesn't game... PERFECT!!!"

I personally just enjoy a good real time strategy game with a friend to sharpen the mind and release all the day's stresses before I go to bed, this does not mean I want everyone on the internet to know that though.

Last edited:
Examples? (mmorpgs)
Well that's the "Achilles' heel" of the argument... there's no amazing MMOs.

Although something good is around the bend... Guild Wars 2(looks like a winner), Final Fantasy XIV, JumpGate, BlackProphecy. I'm not sure of the latter 3, but they're looking good.

Who gives a damned about Blizzard's forums?

I've been using blizzard products for as long as they have existed (though I never got WoW) and I didn't even know they HAD their own forums.

There are some pretty sophisticated fan forums for each individual game (I personally spent a lot of time on the Warcraft III forums), so why not just use them instead.

And if you HAVE to use the blizzard forums for some insane reason? Why not just change your real name (on the forums) to Doc Loveless or Patti Labelle or something?

Back