• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blizzard Forums (WoW, SC, Diablo) now to post your real name beside your post

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Do you agree with adding your real name to posts?

• Yes

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • No

Votes: 48 70.6%
  • On the fence

Votes: 9 13.2%

• Total voters
See? I got a good chuckle out of that.

The names are tied to the account and they can't be changed for any reason. So unless you started with that name, you are out of luck.

And I'm surprised that people seem to confuse FORUMS with IN-GAME ID.

Simply because this applies ONLY to the forums. Not your In-Game Name/ID. The person whom you just wiped the floor with in SC2 won't know your name, Just as long as you don't post in the forums.

Now, if they start implimenting this IN-GAME, so you know the real name of the person your going up against...then I could see a drop in sales. But until then, this entire F-up that blizzard has created won't change their profits one single bit.

For me this IS a big issue. I multibox 5 toons in WoW so I can avoid pugging like the plague it is. Now when I'm out doing quests and killing some monsters someone else is needing for the same quest I almost immediately get flak from them. Toss in the fact that it has been shown that the RealID APIs in the WoW addon library can show the first and last name of a player in a mouseover macro, well you can use your internet imagination. I don't need some 13 year old kid pissed off at me because I am killing his quest mobs (of which I need as well) to know my real name.

Taking it off the forums is a step in the right direction, but not a fix to the problem. At least not for me. If it was my first name and first character of my last name it wouldn't be a big deal. True I have a fairly common name, but limiting the last name to a single character increased the possible people it could be a good bit. Make this change to the API calls, or take them out completely and I'll be a happy boxer.

Toss in the fact that it has been shown that the RealID APIs in the WoW addon library can show the first and last name of a player in a mouseover macro, well you can use your internet imagination.
You sure that was legit? The only thing I heard about this "leak" was it was fake. I'm sure that Blizzard has that API locked down tight.

Correct Thid, this has been debunked now. My worries are over and Blizzard has changed their mind on RealID and the forums now too. So the RealID threat is over. YAY!

Back