• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blue Orb ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SMuH

Will a Blue Orb fit on my MSI Geforce2 MX Card (its nvidia´s reference design ..) ?

Jeff Evans (Dec 17, 2000 07:20 p.m.):
I would not waist my money on a Blorb. Just superglue a Socket7 sink on their }>

I agree..... The newer GTS cards don't run that hot anyway. Most of the retail heatsinks work well enough if you remove them and add some decent thermal paste.

Or if you have an intel P-3 HS&F laying about you can Superglue and thermal compound that on your Video card -works great :D

Super glue? Are you joking or will something like that actually work? Cuase I plan on overclocking my Geforce 2 GTS and I dont want to waste 170$ cuase I took a joke seriusly :-D

Bobby Manus (Dec 17, 2000 10:26 p.m.):
Super glue? Are you joking or will something like that actually work? Cuase I plan on overclocking my Geforce 2 GTS and I dont want to waste 170$ cuase I took a joke seriusly :-D

Personally, I wouldn't use Super Glue but I know many that have and not had any problems. I would search out some Thermal Epoxy. I believe there is soe arctic Silver thermal epoxy out there now. Where, I have no idea.

Ugh, found some thermal paste for $1. Will this cut it? I dont see any artic silver thermal paste at pricewatch, ill look around at places like tomshardware. But what is the diff of thermal paste and this artic silver that you speak of? Im ok with paying a couple extra bucks, thermal paste is only 1$, even I can afford that ;D

Bobby Manus (Dec 17, 2000 10:26 p.m.):

I wouldn't risk you card on a joke. Remove Stock HS&F clean chip with alcohol, apply thermal compound, but leave a tiny clean spot in each Cornor. apply tiny drop superglue in each corner carefully place new HS&F (or old one) set about a pound or two of weight on it. leave 1/2 hour - and your done. Good Luck!

Bobby Manus (Dec 17, 2000 11:54 p.m.):
Ugh, found some thermal paste for $1. Will this cut it? I dont see any artic silver thermal paste at pricewatch, ill look around at places like tomshardware. But what is the diff of thermal paste and this artic silver that you speak of? Im ok with paying a couple extra bucks, thermal paste is only 1$, even I can afford that ;D
If you read skips post again you will notice he said "Epoxy" not "Paste". Not sure if your confused or not, from your post imediatly following his it sounds like your confused, or maybe you just read his post wrong. Don't waste money on Arctic Silver paste. I think that it is a horible "value".

Thermal Paste= Silicone based lubricant mixed with metal/metal oxcide or a mixture of the two.

Thermal Epoxy= Epoxy (really strong glue that smells like cat urine) mixed with the same metal/metal oxcide or mixture used in thermal paste.

Many people are using Thermal Paste with a drop of SuperGlue on 2 or 4 of the four GPU corners.

Personaly I used the two hole through my V3 card, I drilled and taped (threaded) two holes in a Socket7 heatsink (cheapy only $3) and used two allen head machine screws through the holes in the V3 to hold it in place...... This works like a charm!

I have heard of people using JB weld to afix heatsinks to there CPUs and having great OC success with them.

Ok im still pretty lost. Got a link with some perrty pictures? They generally clear all this up. I understand what you mean though, makes sense, thernal paste the center and then superglue the 4 corners, put small weight one it 30 min, that part seems simple enough. Problem, how do you take off the hsf? Razorblade and alchohol? What does the hsf on a graphics card look like? Is the one on the MX a good one? Or should it be replaced? Once again all help is greatly apreciated!

Bobby Manus (Dec 18, 2000 01:15 a.m.):
Ok im still pretty lost. Got a link with some perrty pictures? They generally clear all this up. I understand what you mean though, makes sense, thernal paste the center and then superglue the 4 corners, put small weight one it 30 min, that part seems simple enough. Problem, how do you take off the hsf? Razorblade and alchohol? What does the hsf on a graphics card look like? Is the one on the MX a good one? Or should it be replaced? Once again all help is greatly apreciated!
It depends on what MX you buy..... I generally just replace video card sinks for any of my customers that are hardcore gamers, even if they don't OC the card. I do this because I find that 3 or more hours of Q3A get that lil heatsink very HOT! To take the old one of put the card in the freezer for 15min.... then grip the heatsink with a pair of channel locks and twist a little and pull up. Be warned: It will make a very disturbing SNAP! Later if you have to return the card and have only gluesd the new sinks corners...... you can remove the new sink the same way and put the old one back on. But I've never had to return a card unless it was DOA.

why should I glue a heatsink / fan to my gf2mx if i can use those "push-pins" to fix it. When I had to exchange the hsf on my Asus 6800 i never thought to fix it with glue... and of course the 12$ for a blorb could be a waste of money, but for a card like the asus 6800 ...

SMuH (Dec 18, 2000 03:26 a.m.):
why should I glue a heatsink / fan to my gf2mx if i can use those "push-pins" to fix it. When I had to exchange the hsf on my Asus 6800 i never thought to fix it with glue... and of course the 12$ for a blorb could be a waste of money, but for a card like the asus 6800 ...
Just had an idea...... blow a wad on a PEP66 with delta fan. And afix it to your MX the same way I afixed the Socket7 cooler to my V3. Then throw a little 53watt peltier on it and see what she really has! }>

I agree, go with the artic silver thermal epoxy, it works well. Also, one benefit of the BLORB is it does not weigh 500 lbs... I mean, really, putting an Alpha PEP66 would be a major disaster, simply because it weighs so much. Imagine it hanging upside down on the card, it could fall off or bend or break the card eventually. (Yes, I know that was intended as a joke, but I'm using it to make a point). The BLORB is very effective but weighs almost nothing, it also only takes up one PCI slot.

This forum does not have too many BLORB fans I think ;-) Anyway, if you do decide to use the socket 7/370/A heatsink, it should work fine. Just attach it with Arctic Silver Thermal Epoxy which can be purchased as listed above at www.2cooltek.com. If you use ASTE, you won't be able to remove it again though, so don't screw up! (don't worry, it takes quite a while to bond, so you should have no problems).

While you're at it, you might add some RAM heatsinks (which can also be purchased at 2cooltek). I'm still not convinced that they really do all that much, but they can't hurt anything either.

this is the oldest video forum post i could find! Funny talking about Blorb's and GTS's way back here :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back