• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Books On Computers in General

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jonny 2x4

I am fairly knowledgable in computers, but I don't know nearly as much as you guys know. I will continue to read the forums and retain knowledge (see quote at the end of post). Well, I was wondering if any of you guys have suggestions on good computer books. I will be considering getting into some programming, but none of the books have worked for me. This however, I don't really want to be a programming book. I would like a good book that is on the inside of computers and what makes stuff tick. Like, learning about what an L2 cache is and what it does, about how cycles take place in the processor, all kinds of stuff. Are there any books like this out there? Thanks.

Knowledge is not merely the memorization of facts, but the retention of facts. -Carl Day (my U.S History Honors Teacher :D)

CompTIA's A+

It's actually a certification book, but jam packed with how everything works inside the computer.

Unfortunatly, they aint cheap...

I will end up going and getting it form my library and reading the first 20+ pages no matter what anyways, so I know if it is interesting or not.

I'll check it out :D

looked at the A+ books and they're $60 @ the bookstores and the libraries sadly don't carry any of them. I might buy one of of ebay if it's worth it.

So, I am looking at alternatives to the A+ books. Any suggestions?

Those books are worth it. and, after you are done, you can take the test and be certified.. What other book offers that?

You hve to figure, quite a few poeple on here have an A+ Cert, or MCSE, or some kind of certification/degree/piece of paper saying they know their stuff. Also, in all the different books you would buy, you would spend more than if you just bought the A+ book.

You get what you pay for.....

I don't know how old you are, but, if you're living with your parents, you could try, "mom, dad, there is this book about getting an A+ Certification (explain what it is and what it can do for you), but it's like $60. Can you help me out?"

Parents are cool if it is toward an education.. If you're married, try the same thing, excpet insert "honey" in place of "mom/dad".

I think my dad might pay for it. I will probably get A+ certified at the beginning of the summer and after that get MCSE, that's what I really want to do. If I get that I will have a better paying job while in college.

I would recomment that you hold off on the MCSE for now. To get an MCSE you need to go through six huge books and take six very long tests. Add to that that there are a lot of out-of-work MCSEs out there right now. Besides which, since your educational goal is comp/sci, college will give you a more comprehensive (and marketable) education anyway.

Also, A couple of publishers to keep an eye out for are SAMS and O'Reilly associates. If there is a specific subject you want to get the skinny on the "unleashed" series (SAMS) and the "in a nut shell" (O'Reilly) are great references to have around. Also both series come with everything in the book on a CD so that you can see what you are learning right on your box.

Upgrading and Repairing Computers by Scott Mueller

That guy knows what he's talking about and the book is HUGE. Im sure your local library has it or you can get it from amazon.

Upgrading and Repairing PCs : A+ Certification Study Guide (Paperback, 2001)

is the one you meant or

Upgrading and Repairing PCs (Hardcover, 2002) ??
they are from half.com

I am probably going to get that CompTIA A+ Certification thing. I am really looking for a certification I can obtain this summer.

Back