• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bought an i5 6500 and MSI Z170A PC Mate, wanting to OC but have a problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JCE3000GT

So I made the mistake of updating my BIOS in hopes to not have any RAM compatibility issues since it wasn't on their list of compatible RAM and then read afterwards that Intel forced mobo manufacturers to disable being able to OC non-K Skylake chips. Am I f'ed? Or can I still OC with this mobo? I only really want to get this to at or slightly above 4Ghz so my goal isn't all that tough, I just need to know that I haven't made that now impossible to achieve.

Also, a little off topic but... I'm using the stock cooler and under extremely heavy load I'm maxing out right at 60ºC, is this safe? I'm using my first Intel since the Pentium III era so I have NO CLUE if this is a safe temp. Granted I have the side panel off of my case and I'm down 2 exhaust fans right now so that may be playing a role with these temps.

So I made the mistake of updating my BIOS in hopes to not have any RAM compatibility issues since it wasn't on their list of compatible RAM and then read afterwards that Intel forced mobo manufacturers to disable being able to OC non-K Skylake chips. Am I f'ed? Or can I still OC with this mobo? I only really want to get this to at or slightly above 4Ghz so my goal isn't all that tough, I just need to know that I haven't made that now impossible to achieve.

Also, a little off topic but... I'm using the stock cooler and under extremely heavy load I'm maxing out right at 60ºC, is this safe? I'm using my first Intel since the Pentium III era so I have NO CLUE if this is a safe temp. Granted I have the side panel off of my case and I'm down 2 exhaust fans right now so that may be playing a role with these temps.

Your temps are fine, 90C and above is the threshold to avoid. I'm trying to find the thread that discusses overclocking the non-K Skylake chips. It's limited. One of our guys will update that for you here soon.

Your temps are fine, 90C and above is the threshold to avoid. I'm trying to find the thread that discusses overclocking the non-K Skylake chips. It's limited. One of our guys will update that for you here soon.

Excellent! Thanks mate. :D

You should be able to go back to the previous BIOS, assuming you can find a copy.

You should be able to go back to the previous BIOS, assuming you can find a copy.

Thankfully the manufacturer keeps an archive of all BIOS downloads. My only question is how do I know when that change was made and will there be any adverse effects from downgrading?

Back