• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bringing the Pentium-M to the desktop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Give the NB 1.7-1.8v, also are you trying to boot at 222? Or using clockgen? I'd recommend trying clockgen if you want a high FSB. I run 9x290 for 2.6, but I don't boot at that I boot at 9x201, then clockgen does the rest when I hit windows. Best thing to do is see where you CPU is stable, and then drop the multi give the ram some space run a ratio 3:2 would be good to start with, and see how far that FSB will go. Also I see you are running Sata, this means you can't go past 300FSB because that is where the pci lock (for the Sata atleast) craps out.

Thanks.
I do boot at 222. I also figured out, that the limit of my cpu is at 2.7 GHz.
Anyway I don't want to clock it higher than 250x~11, so the pci lock is not a problem :)

Jimbob do you know if the VCCA does the same thing as VCORE? I have my VCORE set at 1.775v right now, trying to get that last 60Mhz to hit 3GHz. I didn't use a 5k VR for VCCA, only 3.2k which sets it at 1.8v. Do you think that would help?

It seems mine likes more voltage on the vcore then. I've only put it up to 1.8volts so far... and I'm a bit hesitant to raise it any higher. I'm using the Swiftech Storm, perfect for the Dothan, no IHS! I wish rat shack sold 5k Ohm trimmers.

I've already soldered the 533 jumpers together permanently.

Not sure if you consider my water good cooling. THe core sees 35C max (external probe next to die.)

Hi,

So, I wanted to run a big test suite, with a multi of 10 and multiple fsb-settings, starting with 225 to 260,but end was near: 238. Seems like the ram doesn't like go higher.

Settings:
CPU: 1,6V x10
RAM: 2.85V 3-4-4-8
AGP: 1.7V

Which ram should I choose to go higher? 2Gb is a must!

Pajaa, have you done the Vdimm mod on the board to give more than 2.85 volts yet? Check what kind of ram chips those sticks use, they might respond well to OCing.

The board is completely unmodded, and I haven't to the possibilities and skills to do. My ram uses winbond ch-5 chips. What about this OCZ booster device, which can bump up the voltage? Worth a try?

I think CH-5 chips love voltage, but you'd better double check on that. yes, the OCZ DDR-Booster would work well, I've heard it has a droop problem for really high voltage though, but you'd be bumping it to 3.1 or 3.2, nothing real big to worry about. Also keep in mind it will put out a lot of heat.

i do vaguely remember people saying ch-5 chips were not good clockers. A few over at xs with the different chips have reported best luck of ocing with ocz booster with old/new bh-5 dies. that is just what i remember as there is a lot of dothan info to take in...

Evilsizer said:
i do vaguely remember people saying ch-5 chips were not good clockers. A few over at xs with the different chips have reported best luck of ocing with ocz booster with old/new bh-5 dies. that is just what i remember as there is a lot of dothan info to take in...

I believe my OCZ VX used CH-5 and it performed poorly on my P4C800 DLX. wouldn't do more than 220FSB yet it would do 245FSB on my NF2 board no problem. My Corsair BH-5 did very well though. 255FSB no problem.

Thanks
@Evilsizer
Indeed, the little dothan seems to be picky, when it comes to high overclocking.

Finally I've decided to buy 2GB of OCZ PC-4000 Platinum EB [in a few month, though], which can reach my desired settings with ease :).
We'll see, which component limits my overclocking, so stay tuned :)

Last edited:
After a lot of water had passed under that bridge... I have ordered a Gainward 7800gs 512 gs+... 24 pipelines, G71 gpu... my wallet is empty...

Sad part is I'm out of town and will get home next weekend... but then... oh, boy... some values in my sig will change...

DoubleE, I don't want to scare you, but to get the full pontential of your 7800GS 512 GS+ you have to wait for forceware 87.xx, because this card is not fully supported by current drivers... I hate to wait.

By the way, have you modded something on the ct-479 or elsewhere? I can't push mine 740 past 2.66.

pajaa said:
DoubleE, I don't want to scare you, but to get the full pontential of your 7800GS 512 GS+ you have to wait for forceware 87.xx, because this card is not fully supported by current drivers... I hate to wait.

By the way, have you modded something on the ct-479 or elsewhere? I can't push mine 740 past 2.66.

Gaaahhh... don't tell me it's useless... what's your marks?

Before I could get above the 2.6 barrier I had to install a good cpu cooling... thermaltake xp-90c in my case.
After that I could increase the vcore to 1.6V and reach 2.83.
However, 10hr BF2 sessions don't condone that... so I'm currently running at 2.73GHz and... hey... it's still 1Gig OC!
No volt mods used. I believe I could get 2.9gig if I push it with some volt mods... but I'm lazy...
Crucial point is the cpu cooler, fitting it, general air flow and thermal paste.
I bent the retention clips a little on the xp-90c to get a good fit.
Temperature during most intensive game play is 58C.
Ambient air temp (room) should not be above 25C.

Btw... 2.85V vdimm or 2.65V did not have any effect at all so I left it at 2.65...

But, the graphic card is fast as hell... even without a proper driver :) Bought mine at Alternate for 399 €...

I've put a zalman 7700AlCu on it. Last night I was able to boot at 225FSB, but it locked up after windows has loaded :-( So I decided to change the core: a 750!! Hopefully i can push that beyond 2.8Ghz and the old one will be sold on ebay, haha.

So far,
pajaa

Got my card today and yes it is quick. Quick as hell... have to agree on that pajaa...
As I have a 1280x1024 19" lcd, any game... including FEAR runs with just all whistles and bells... FEAR 0% < 25fps. 8% < 40 fps and da rest above..:beer:
... with 500/1250 oc.

When benching I was surprised that the 3d01 marks did not improve as much as the 3d03... could be that has to do with memory latencies.
This may be cured soon, as I'm awaiting a 3500LL pro kit.
I need some rest, just couldn't stop benching and playing...:)

And for those who wonder... this is a 7900gt in disguise... 24 pipes and all... with awsome oc potential.
With better cooling I... where is the limit.... 10k 3d05 barrier for sure.

What is that pci-e? :)) )

AGP forever....

Last edited:
btw... there exists many reviews about 7800gs agp cards (bfg,evga...) claiming that it is the quickest agp thingy... I challenge that... the gs+ tops a gs with more than 30%... with decent cooling... well...
So where do we have a decent gs+ review?

It has already a decent cooling. I just flashed the bios to 100% fan speed in 3D, still very silent. Btw, sunday or monday I will check if bf2 can run on highest setting now, because I just reinstalled windows and hab no time to install bf2 with all addons and expansions packs and its 10000000000 patches.
Got my 750: 2.7 GHz... Boots at 2.75 but restarts during prime. Have to set my fan higher, maybe.

Sjaak said:
And i'm forced to run my mighty Dothan at 2.2Ghz because of the insane summer heat :( i'm jealous

Summer has not struck us in northern Sweden yet... will have to anticipate lower fsb I suppose... or put my comp in the freezer box...
Now that I'm so close to 10k in 3d5 I just have to figure out how to get there... will make a test run on 2.86 to see...

*edit*
....no, no... I wont push it any further... artifacts and stability issues start to pop up if I go any higher than 2.8... well, well...:)
With my incoming 3500LL pro kit I should get better 3d1 an pi scores...

2.760 (230x12) is max for 24/7 for me with current config. However with warm season coming I'll stick to 2.73.

With the nagging exception that I can't breach the 10k barrier for 3d5 I'm more than happy that I can run BF2 with EVERYTHING on at 1280x1024... it's good for sniping...

Viva dothan.... viva GS+... :)

Last edited:
Back