• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BSOD after BSOD after BSOD...HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alchemy1

I recently built a home server using WHS (trial version). Everything was going fine until I decided to install the windows updates. All of a sudden my server BSOD's.

Since then I have been trying to reinstall WHS and XP Pro to no avail. I just constantly get random BSOD's or freezes during install. The rig will post and all, but it just hangs or BSOD's when I try to install windows.

I have two sticks of RAM and I have tried using both one at a time in different slots on the mobo. I have tried two different hard drives and different windows disks, just in case there disk was causing the problem. I have tried running the minimum amount of hardware to get the rig up and running. Nothing seems to solve the problem.

Any tips or suggestions?

Specs:
NEC DVD Burner
1- SATA Hitachi 80gb HDD
Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H Mobo
AMD X2 240 CPU
Corsair TX850 PSU
Corsair CM2X512A-6400 RAM

Everything is running at stock speeds and the CPU has the stock heatsink on it.

Get the Ultimate Boot CD and run MemTest on it overnight.

How are your temps and voltages?

Replace SATA cables.

Try with a different power supply.

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried most of them, but didn't have any success. I ended up just RMA'ing for a new board/cpu. I had to return the pair because I bought them as a "combo".

I'll post back when I get the new board/cpu.

Do you have any other RAM you can test the system with? Sounds to me like it's that or your PSU.

you didnt post whether or not you tried only 1 stick of ram at a time.. not 2 in diff slots every time.. but now that you rma'd its moot point i gues

I only had the two sticks of RAM. I tried each on individually in each of the four slots. I have never had a RAM issue, but it is used from the classies here. I have since bought another gig (2x512) that I will try when I get the board and cpu back.

I'm not going to say that that PSU can't be the problem, but I had it running the rig in my sig for about a month with my video card and cpu OC maxed out. Once I got my 1000watt PSU I just sat the 850watt PSU in the closet and it has not seen any use since. If I am still having problems I will have to assume it is the PSU, but I'm not going to pull it right this second because it is running my main rig and would be a major PITA to remove. I'd almost rather just by another PSU...lol I do have an old compaq 300watter laying around, but it's a 20 pin, so I'd need an adapter.

It's possible both of your RAM sticks went bad. I bought a new pair of Crucial DD2 2GB modules when I built my media center. Within 3 months they had both failed. I'm more inclined to think it's RAM or something other than your PSU. Most issues I've seen with PSUs didn't have an associated BSOD but it's still possible. Did you happen to get the Stop code when the system BSODs?

There were several stop codes. I had one or two written down, but I have since thrown away the paper. I know one ended in 50.

Well, I'm not sure if it was the RAM or the mobo, but it's up and running now. I got a new CPU, mobo, and I bought two more used sets of RAM. All of the RAM allows the mobo to post and load WHS...besides one of the four sticks. Not a big deal, I only paid $10 for the 2x512 kit.

The old, questionable, kit is still with corsair being repaired/replaced.

However, now I am fighting with my AMD SB710 southbridge. Apparently it doesn't play nice with ACHI/RAID and the OS. I have read that I need to slipstream the drivers or go the old school route and make floppies, but I haven't had the time to try either yet.

If your using WHS on that system, you don't need to bother with Raid, unless your going for Raid1 on the main OS drive. Any other drives you add in will simply be added via the OS to the D drive collection.

Yeah, I want to Raid1 my OS drive and my 1.5tb storage drives. That way I can just rebuild the array for either in case of a drive failure. That's not possible to do within WHS for the storage drives...is it?

*edit*
Gave in and deleted my install. I copied the drivers from the mobo disk onto floppies and so far all worked out. I copied the Vista and XP files, but used the Vista disk first and the install started right after the drivers were applied.

Last edited:
Back