• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

building my own AMD dually - tons of pictures (56K warning!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
dustybyrd said:
were you using sk7's or slk800's? my cpu fans are the adjustable enermaxes at 3100rpm right now...
I'm using $10 heatsinks with copper clad bottoms. They are AOC Model EC-ND-18. BTW, I also used them on my K7D Master L with dual L5-modded XP2600s last summer. IIRC, the temps weren't much different and they were also running at 2.3 GHz with the cores at 1.8V also.

I'm using $10 heatsinks with copper clad bottoms. They are AOC Model EC-ND-18. BTW, I also used them on my K7D Master L with dual L5-modded XP2600s last summer. IIRC, the temps weren't much different and they were also running at 2.3 GHz with the cores at 1.8V also. [/B]

i see...

where did you get such cheap, effective heatsinks?

too bad 1.8 doesn't get me 2.3ghz :( it doesn't even get me 2.2ghz...but i can't complain, i still got a decent overclock...but i did expect more when i went from 1.65 to 1.8 volts...

do you still have those 2600's?

They still have the heatsinks at Nexfan, which is where I got them about 6 months ago. Here's a link .

I sold the modded XP2600s with the K7D Master L back in September.

They still have the heatsinks at Nexfan, which is where I got them about 6 months ago. Here's a link .

I sold the modded XP2600s with the K7D Master L back in September.

thanks...

it looks like they get good airflow, they are relatively quiet and they are easy to install...

and maybe they are just as good as the sk7's...maybe better...your temps certainly were great with 1.8v...

great deal for $10

dustybyrd said:

yeah, i think i remember you saying this before...and i believe you, but the strange thing is...a while back (when i had weaker fans and hotter room temperatures, my system was stable at 59C cpu temps...yet i thought i heard of k7d's having stability problems when the cpu temps reached that level...???

My K7D's have always been stable up tp 55-60C, just fine. They have run hotter than that, occasionally, but I like to keep them under 60C, preferably.

My K7D's have always been stable up tp 55-60C, just fine. They have run hotter than that, occasionally, but I like to keep them under 60C, preferably. [/B]

so how much different do you estimate the actual temps from reported temps are on the asus versus k7d boards...in other words if you have the same voltage, chips, case/cooling, room temperature and speeds...what would be the reported temps on the asus versus the k7d?

if my asus is capable of reporting 59C under full load (stable) then what would the actual temperature be?

dustybyrd said:

so how much different do you estimate the actual temps from reported temps are on the asus versus k7d boards...in other words if you have the same voltage, chips, case/cooling, room temperature and speeds...what would be the reported temps on the asus versus the k7d?

if my asus is capable of reporting 59C under full load (stable) then what would the actual temperature be?

I think the difference is somewhere in the range of 5-10C.

Now, does this mean that the K7D reports actual temperatures? No. All temperature reporting mechanisms are only accurate, when compared to themselves. Some motherboards report CPU diode temps and some record CPU temps, using traditional thermistors. The CPU diode temp is closer to accuracy than the traditional thermistors, but it is still not completely accurate. For one thing, it is placed in a relatively cool part of the processor. For another, you never know how much the motherboard company is adjusting the number that is reported to the board.

That is a long answer and may not answer your question, but oh well;) (I'm too tired to think, too much, at the moment.)

Where did you pick up the Amd xp1800+ DLT3C, do you think they will oc as good on a tyan s2466 mpx board, if I use the pin mod.

Very nice documentation of your build. Will work well in conjunction with some of CMC's posts.

Hi,
Great work. It's exactly the dually that I wanted to build : ) <-- jealous
But by the way, I'm now not so sure I need a dually anymore, after using the latest linux kernel :(
It sucks because I really wanted a dually.
But it's good because a dually is no longer necessary in order to run a lot of programs simultaneously and still have great responsiveness.
I'd encourage anyone stuck with a single processor machine to try kernel 2.6 and see how responsive it is.

vod said:
Hi,
Great work. It's exactly the dually that I wanted to build : ) <-- jealous
But by the way, I'm now not so sure I need a dually anymore, after using the latest linux kernel :(
It sucks because I really wanted a dually.
But it's good because a dually is no longer necessary in order to run a lot of programs simultaneously and still have great responsiveness.
I'd encourage anyone stuck with a single processor machine to try kernel 2.6 and see how responsive it is.

Thats nice and all but what programs are you running at the same time? As long as you don't use anything heavy multitasking isn't a problem at all. In fact a year ago I was still using a PIV 1.5Ghz based system (yeah I know, crap) that I got a really good deal for. It served its purpose as a cheap gaming machine, photoshop/illustrator, and programming machine. But when I got into 3D modeling with Photoshop open and working on a 1280x1280 high resolution texture for a real time environment and had Max4 open (that should tell you how long ago this was ;)) the machine started to craw as I sat and watched how the the screen was drawn, one graphic component at a time pixel by pixel in some instances. :( Then there is the fact that it was just slow at rendering period.

In that case a dual was the only way to go. So I went and built myself a Dual [email protected] Xeon w/ 1GB PC2100 (dual channel) and a GF4 Ti 4600 softmoded to a Quadro4 900 XGL. There is plenty of room for improvement as I get more cash but I never have to wait for anything. In fact I can 6 instances of 3dsmax6 open, photoshop and illustrator open at the same time. The difference is night and day. I can never go back to the single processor systems. My current user habbits would easily bring a Athalon 64 FX or P4EE to their knees in seconds.

Duals are a godsend for me, but the downside as I'm sure your aware is that they take up a lot of space and more importantly they are rather expensive comared to their equlivent uni processor systems.

Yep, well said. Last night I was compiling my Linux Kernel, and I was doing some other internet stuff at the same time - I could not tell (no delay of any kind) this massive work was happening at all (the compile, of course) - having a dually is very awesome.

I guess that once I move from my 2.4 kernel to the 2.6 will be even better !!!

Back