• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building My Second Gaming Rig - I need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OK, you ran it stock for a day now it's time to get crackin' with the OC'in!! Maybe you need a figurative kick in the nuts to get going? :nuts:

Damn it you all have convinced me. Admittedly, I know little about Overclocking (ironic given the forum name I know). This Newegg OC guide seems pretty aligned w my particular build (
) so I think I’m going to follow it as much as it applies.

A couple things I want run past you:

1. Given my components (9900K, 2080, 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 3000), is my 650W EVGA Gold enough to support overclocking my CPU say between 4.5-5.0GHz?
2. My intention to stream occasionally with OBS and from what I’ve found it seems that OBS uses AVX instructions when running so I think I’ll need to keep that in mind and be a little more conservative with the OC. Is this accurate?

With only one high end video card your 650W EVGA PSU will be quite adequate.

*correct me if I'm wrong in anything I'm about to say*

Hey sorry to leave y'all hanging but I decided that I'm going to stick with stock speeds. I'm monitoring HWMonitor and noticed that the stock turbo boost brings me up to 4.8GHz when I'm running games and apps and even as high as 5.0GHz. I'm figuring there's diminishing returns in seeking out an OC and when I looked into the AI Overclocking tool it recommended to bring me up to 4.8GHz which I feel like isn't it even worth it at that point.

*correct me if I'm wrong in anything I'm about to say*

Hey sorry to leave y'all hanging but I decided that I'm going to stick with stock speeds. I'm monitoring HWMonitor and noticed that the stock turbo boost brings me up to 4.8GHz when I'm running games and apps and even as high as 5.0GHz. I'm figuring there's diminishing returns in seeking out an OC and when I looked into the AI Overclocking tool it recommended to bring me up to 4.8GHz which I feel like isn't it even worth it at that point.

I was just wondering what does the processor run for peak core voltage in HWmonitor at stock speeds?

Is the peak core voltage while playing games? 1.217v Seems a little low.

Really? I was concerned it was a little high. I had just gotten off maybe 10 minutes prior playing/streaming Apex and Fortnite

Really? I was concerned it was a little high. I had just gotten off maybe 10 minutes prior playing/streaming Apex and Fortnite

Average stock clock is around 1.3v+. With that stock voltage you should be able to clock all cores to 5.0GHz with lower heat. You should give MCE (multi core enhancement) a try.

Back