• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Building PWM Controller for 4 wires PWM fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hi im trying to get my Delta's to work ive a zalman PWM mate on a loom ive rigged up so powers from molex for 12v and 5v etc but won't respond.
Tried grounding across from black to blue with a wire which had no result so wondering
what or how does the delta pwm circuitry work/configure? as tried an old intel stock cooler and that worked ok chopped that wiring/plug off to use to fan as know plug pins make contact ok and connected to fan wiring.

I like that what looks like a bay controller on InVains posts as thats the sort of thing im looking for as going to run 3+ sets of fans.

Anyway guy's keep up the good work.

try to hook your delta's yellow wire to either ground or 5v,
usually delta use the blue wire as the tacho-meter :thup:

as your drive bay controller project,
I recently build this controller for a friend o' mine, consists of 2x pwm and 2x analog controllers:

7562300560_da282cfd45_z.jpg

these are the connectors for the pots:
7562317676_3fd40a2856_z.jpg

and the pcb will fit nicely on a trashed old cd-rom case :D
7562491094_71102a83a0_z.jpg

inVain, your craftsmanship in building this diy fan controller circuit never ceases to amaze me ! :shock: :attn: :drool::clap::rock:

Hi thanks for that.it was mentioned somewhere before it was blue wire so went with that.

Try to hook your delta's yellow wire to either ground or 5v,
usually delta use the blue wire as the tacho-meter
Which was what i put in my original post re delta's as a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.lol

Yes that's the so how much would it be? you should market them.
As sure looks the dog's nuts and puts your an other go faster bits you get from the mass manufacturer's and sure puts them to shame.
there does seem to be more using pwm fans now there finding out about them.
My way of thinking is if there too noisey/blowing too much you can atleast turn them down but with a mickey mouse super dooper well crap fans you can't turn them up anymore if not cooling enough.

Hi thanks for that it's working now but! it's in reverse as someone else said i remember in comment pwm mate review.
Red 100% it turns off.
Blue 50% seems fastest. pink 75% is slower.
In green manual turn to right it slows down turns up going other way but don't seam to be 100%?

Hi thanks for that it's working now but! it's in reverse as someone else said i remember in comment pwm mate review.
Red 100% it turns off.
Blue 50% seems fastest. pink 75% is slower.
In green manual turn to right it slows down turns up going other way but don't seam to be 100%?

your delta is an inverted-pwm one :)
which means, when your zalman yell 100% spin, your delta hear it to spin at 0% :shrug:
adding an inverted schmitt trigger will solve this issue though ;)

that's the reason why I have some dip-switch on my controller :D
7562492030_c1e2faa57a_z.jpg

So where do i get an inverted schmidt trigger please?

But would still like one of your bay controllers look mmm so nice

I got some Thermal Controlled/Reverse PWM San Aces (109R1212T1H142) and even looking thought the 66 pages from this threat, I couldn't find (or wasn't able to recognize) a "pure" Reverse PWM controller. Does anyone have a small circuit that works this way?

So where do i get an inverted schmidt trigger please?

But would still like one of your bay controllers look mmm so nice

the schematic inside the yellow box is the inverted schmidt trigger;)
View attachment 113148

I got some Thermal Controlled/Reverse PWM San Aces (109R1212T1H142) and even looking thought the 66 pages from this threat, I couldn't find (or wasn't able to recognize) a "pure" Reverse PWM controller. Does anyone have a small circuit that works this way?

just add the above schematic, and you're done ;)
by the way, if you just swap your two outer wire to your pots, you can easily swap the polarity of your controller :thup:

If it's a NE555 (as opposed to the newer lower voltage flavor) you should be able to run 12 off it, yes.
The newer flavor doesn't have nearly the output capacity.

Am I wrong, or can he duplicate the signal with an opamp for each channel he needs? I.E. run pwm signal to four lm311 with their negative inputs grounded and balances tied together?

Last edited:
It can be boosted and duplicated with a NE555 as well. They don't have to invert the output.

Excellent point bobnova. I think a quad opamp ic (lm324) might be a bit simpler for ensuring four channels all get full power, as opposed to two 556 or 4 555?

Lm324

Edit: excuse me, just realized he said he wanted to run 12 fans... Wow that's a lot of fans. I suppose each opamp could handle three easily but I don't really know, that's beyond my knowledge.

If you have them available near you a 18 series pic microcontroller might work better for so many fans, and take less space on the board. A programmer is pretty easy to solder up and the pcb schematic(ready for printing,) instructions, and software are all free online. Also, they are stupidly low cost. Usually less than five us dollars.

Last edited:
In theory the fans are limited (by the spec) to 5ma draw on the PWM line. 12 fans and 5ma is 60ma, the NE555 bits are rated at 200ma. Even if the fans draw twice the spec a single 555 ought to do it. Two would be nice juicy overkill, not a bad idea as I believe some fans draw rather more than twice what they are supposed to.

Considering adding a thermal override to the reset 1 input using a silicon diode and an opamp as a temp sensor. Requires one time calibration fto a screw type potentiometer, but the schematics I've seen online seem fairly simple.

Back