• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cable question???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Psyko07

im a newb so help me out here. i am bulding a pc and want to put 3 hdd's in it but all the cables i see are only good for 1 master and one slave, so wtf, how do people do it, and also i have more than two cd/dvd drives and i only see cables for 2, where are these 3 port cables, someone tell me

I believe there are only dual device cables, grab an ide pci slot card, and use that to run the extra two devices (you are talking about 6 total right?)

you attach two harddrives as slaves on 1 ide cable... make sure to put the jumpers on the HDDs correctly. Same with the other drives... set them as slaves and attach on the same IDE cable.

Vio1 said:
you attach two harddrives as slaves on 1 ide cable... make sure to put the jumpers on the HDDs correctly. Same with the other drives... set them as slaves and attach on the same IDE cable.
??? You can onlt have two IDE devices on one channel MAX. That means one Master/one slave per cable. To answer his question, On the first channel, set your boot drive (one with the OS on it) to master and set the second drive to slave. Plug them into the same (1st) cable. On the second channel, set the 3rd drive to Master and your CD-Rom drive to "Slave". They go on the same (2nd) cable as well. You won't be able to have 2 CD-Roms drives without an external card though.

Wait, does your mobo support SATA?

ide pci slot card , will be your best pick and there fairly chaep. just look around for the best price

Ok i got a ? i can see have lot of hard drives for dif stuff and lots of space. but you have more than two CD rom's. you burn alot of stuff where you burn two cds at once or somthing. Im looking to go to a combo DVD cd burner drive and a plain black 52x cd rom $7 chaper than getting a DVD and a burner

I'm doing 3 hdd's (see sig), a DVD RW and a CDRW (5 devices total) using my motherboard's RAID controller. It can also be used as a regular IDE controller.

I do have an IDE controller laying around somewhere--it came with my retail packed WD 160gb. If you buy a drive retail you might get lucky and get one. Otherwise I think you should be able to purchse one for like $20.

Here's an el-cheapo:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=15-104-214&depa=13
It's less than $20 shipped.

You may want to spend a few more bucks for a more reputable one (highpoint comes to mind). I think they were like $40, but if you're just running CD-Rom drives off of it, it shouldn't really matter.

(same guy as psyko) I have 2 raptors and 1 200 gig maxtor, and for cd/dvd, i have a nec 2500a 8x dvd burner, a maddog 52x cd burner, and i have a dvd rom for reading everything, so just get a card, sounds like an easy solution, never knew about them but sounds great, thanx for all the advice(ASUS P4P800 mobo)

Last edited:
Back