• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I spray compressed air directley into my computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gingo

I've never used this stuff before, I just picked up a can a pressurized air for cleaning electronics and stuff.
Can I spray it right at the mobo and everything else to dust them? I noticed there is some liquid in the can, I dont want to ruin my computer by accidentley letting the liquid stuff out.

keep it upright

don't turn it upside down and use short bursts rather than holding down the trigger for long.

if you tilt the can too much, the liquid will come out and you do not want that to spread across your electronics (although it evaporates in seconds).

test on paper or something first so you understand how much you can or can not tilt the can. usually if you keep the can parallel to the motherboard (assuming you have a tower case and the motherboard is vertically mounted - so the can would be level when dusting off say, the RAM) - then you will be ok.

another note

you might want to have your computer turned off as well, if you are uncertain. just as a precautionary measure.

Like Brodo said, do NOT turn the can upside down and do NOT shake the can prior to use. As you suspected, you do not want the liquid to get on your motherboard or other electronic components. You will notice that the can gets cold feeling as you blow off your equipment. This occurs as the liquid evaporates into a gas.

yea really, just turn it off and you should be fine. allthough im not sure what chemical they use but i dont think it conducts. read the lable it should have some notes.

~z

I just finished, my temps dropped 3 degrees celcius :D

damn dust! :)

you should hold it upside down and spary your hand or better yet some one else's

or there neck
or there ear
or there side

for real fun spray slowly he liquid in to a 3/4 filled plastic coke bottle

it will freeze the top of the coke and start to pool

after you get a lot in there put the cap on
the pressure will rise and the coke will melt and the stuff will disolve in the coke

but when some one opens the coke it will almost explode it will fiz up so hard

well i was going to chim in and say its cool to use on your mobo aslong as you dont freeze it becase it well atract moisture

but some one beat me to it

and these are all usefull things just not for cleaning

( you can also poor the liquid into a empty coke can and let it sit for a second then throw a match at it and run for your ******** life)

Yeah compressed air is awesome. At circuit city where I work we have churned through like 20 bottles of that stuff spraying each other with "freeze spray", that stuff is so fun to mess with. Plus we have the most lax management team in the world and could pretty much sit on the floor all day and get paid, which makes work one big game(almost).

But anyways I read on the back of a belkin can that it is safe to use on ALL electronics, so I think its safe:D

FYI, the temp of the liquid that comes out when the can is upside down is -71 Deg. You can actually buy exactly the same thing with cold liquid squirted out and air out when upside down. Very usefull for cooling down components down really fast. As stated above, don't spay for too long cause there's a lot of static that comes from the can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back