• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can Motherboard control Fan led's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

C0mput3rG33k

Registered
I've been looking on the internet and havent been able to find any info for my problem so i was wondering if i could get some help here.

I have a Asus p8z77 v-pro motherboard and a Thermaltake chaser mk-1 case.

so what i was wondering if there is anyway that the motherboard can control the colors of the fans since they are color shift. The case comes with 2 color shifts and i plan on adding two/three more so i would like to be able to control the speed of the fans more strictly using the motherboard.

The case has a fan controller built into the top-front and it works well for the two color shift fans so far but i would like to control the speed better by the motherboard if possible.

If I cannot control the colors using the motherboard, is there anyway that i can connect all 4-5 color shift fans to the fan controller in the front. I believe the two fans that came with the case are plugged into the same 3 pin plug on the controller and there is one 3 pin socket left. I was thinking that i would have to buy a splinter and it would allow me to connect two more the the last 3 pin plug on the controller.

If more info is needed just let me know :D

Motherboard: ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131819 )

Case: ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...pk=thermal take chaser mk-1&IsVirtualParent=1 )

You can buy a splitter like this one. It/You should only hook up one of the yellow ( RPM sensor ) wires, otherwise the header will be confused by both fans sending RPM info. So if you want to have each a different speed that is not possible on the same 3pin plug. Make sure you check how many amps the header can handle as well.

I'm not sure. I can look it up. The controller on the case has a high and low button for speeds and a led button to change though the fan colors and sequence of lighting.

Thanks for the replies.

Ahh, I bet the case has a small board to send different signals to the fans for lighting. Your fans have TWO connections I think.

Have you looked up the fans on the web? How many wires to the fan etc?

The Mobo will only control the speed, and I bet your fans have 5 wires to them, meaning a separate circuit for the lights.

I havent been able to find much info on the fans beside that i can buy more from thermaltake as "replacement" fans. I found a youtube video that looks like the person has 4 colorshift fans hooked but but am not able to watch it since im at school at the moment.

I have only seen a simple 3 pin plug for the fans that run to the control on the front. The two colorshift fans that came with it must be connected to a splitter. There are no more wires besides the 3 pin plug that come from the fans so idk how the changing led's work.

I will take a closer look at it when i get home and watch that youtube video to see if it will suggest how he/she hooked all 4 up. I figure a splitter would work for the controler but would be nice if the motherboard would run led's too so i can control speeds better when needed.

Will reply back after doing a little digging at home. Thanks Conumdrum!

I've been searching and searching the web and haven't found anything on the way the led's are controlled. I looked at my case and the only wires coming from the fan are 3 pin plugs so the led's are not controlled by another wire separate from the 3 pin plug.

I looked at the youtube video and the person had all four fans hooked to the fan controller that came on the case. So the two he put in he used a spliter.

Just wish I could connect to motherboard to control fan speed better and led's.

If I go with just standard blue led's and connect them to the motherboard the led's will work right?

Plan to water cool soon so guess its not to big of a deal. Plus I'm doing a blue theme but was just wanting to make it where the colors could change for selling purposes.

I've been searching and searching the web and haven't found anything on the way the led's are controlled. I looked at my case and the only wires coming from the fan are 3 pin plugs so the led's are not controlled by another wire separate from the 3 pin plug.

I looked at the youtube video and the person had all four fans hooked to the fan controller that came on the case. So the two he put in he used a spliter.

Just wish I could connect to motherboard to control fan speed better and led's.

If I go with just standard blue led's and connect them to the motherboard the led's will work right?

Plan to water cool soon so guess its not to big of a deal. Plus I'm doing a blue theme but was just wanting to make it where the colors could change for selling purposes.

Just buy one of those splitters that I linked above. You will be able to control the fans via the mobo, just not independently.

Yes, the led's will work right if you connect them via the mobo header.

Those fans would be totally worthless for watercooling on a rad. By design they are very low static pressure and not be able to push air through the rad. There is really no good 200mm rad fans and good rads are 120mm or 140mm wide, so you can't use them.

yeah thats what I was thinking. once I go to water cooling am going to change all the fans out. Just will have to figure out what the max size radiator i can place uptop in push/pull. Ive been thinking and im going to get xspc for graphics card and cpu block. i would buy the kit but the bay res seems to be having that leaking problem even though i like it alot. so my other thought was to put a res inside with a single pump but i have no idea where to start. ive read the stickies but guess ill just figure it out as i go.

Well, for one thing, all that i can say about that guys build is that he accomplished it.

as for the fan colors Im kinda confused about how he did it. He says he used SpeedFan for the software part which is what i use and it seems to work well for me. (first time ive ever built a computer and used programs as such)

as for the hardware part of it, he says he had to soldered something in which is the part that throws me off.

Not sure if it would be worth the effort though i would like to give it a try. Im going to end up replacing the fans since in less than 4 months i will have a full custom water system so i will need better, and more radiator friendly fans. Then the only color fans i will get will be blue since im doing blue uv tubing such as the build you linked.

(Nice when i get to do my senior project on a computer build just for me haha. Thats why im going to add the water system in when i take apart my computer and reassemble it.)

Back