• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can You Make A Mapped Drive A Media Server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I have just made a mapped drive so I can access films and movies to my phone but can you make the drive a media server as well, I turn on DLNA on my router but it makes a Media Server under network but I can't access anything because I assume it actully it only works with a NAS setup maybe, I would like to set a MS because my TV can see them and it would save me messing with USB sticks all the time

Last edited:
Just get a small nas with 2 slots and raid1 a couple large drives. Tv is hdmi'd to the pc that connects to the nas and having wireless control of all your media is as easy as a file browser and a bt keyboard and mouse.
"smb://mynas.local/data/"
Moving files around is just as easy. No sticks required.

I have just made a mapped drive so I can access films and movies to my phone but can you make the drive a media server as well, I turn on DLNA on my router but it makes a Media Server under network but I can't access anything because I assume it actully it only works with a NAS setup maybe, I would like to set a MS because my TV can see them and it would save me messing with USB sticks all the time

You can setup a shared drive in windows and put your files you want to share there, just right click on the drive in File Explorer and click on Properties, then on Sharing tab.

Don’t know how you intend to access things, but why not some SW to manage it as opposed to direct access to the files, such as plex. I do this. Windows box has a mapped drive to my NAS, but run plex to manage it. Plex has an app for just about everything which centralizes and unifies how you access the media.

Along the same lines, I can access the files directly as well as along the same lines (DLNA) it advertises itself so I can see it as a media server from various devices and access it directly. Kind of the best of both.

How do I make a user name and password to my mapped drive if my windows 10 account doesn't have one as it goes straight to desktop from boot up I have a new Samsung S20 FE mobile it sees my network drive but it won't access it as I don't have a User and password set to it and there's an option called Anonymous but it won't log in to it

Can create a user account on windows or setup guest access?

When I set up my fresh install of 10 I made my own account signed into my microsoft account and was up and running, I has no password set up as it's only me and girlfriend using the PC mostly me I did a tweak so that if I come out of sleep mode it goes straight to desktop and not log in screen.

But I click on the log in to different credetials and make a username and password but when I try logged into my girlfriends windows 7 laptop and enter the entire address the router gives the mapped drive was instant there and I can log in again with no password or username. Am I right in saying that it's secure and only people can access it if there on my network and have the full IP address or it is open to anyone who knows what there doing.

Back