• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cannot forward ports

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you have your own cable modem that should not be an issue.

What kind of router specifically do you have?

EDIT: No ports open circumventing the router either? If the desktop computer is hooked directly to the modem you should have your external IP for the computer and not a 192.168.1.xxx
You will not need to forward any ports like that, just make sure they are open in your firewall.

the router is from comcast it is a wnr1000v2 i tried using my wrt54gl but it wouldnt work cause it has dd-wrt on it, also my desktop did show the internet ip but i could not ping or get a reply from a certain port and when i was connected to the modem it showed a ip starting with 74 or 75 and when the modem is connected to the router the ip is this 68.52.19.** its very strange

Yea the external IP you will get will be different for each mac address it is assigned too.
I personally use a wrt54gl w/ddwrt on my Comcast service, but have noticed some providers you need to clone the mac address of the computer after your ISP assigns you an IP otherwise they will not work. That may be the case where you are at.

To do that you,

1) hook the computer directly to the modem, restart the modem and wait for it to resolve.
2) Leaving the modem on switch the wire from the computer. Plugging the computer into your router.
3) On the Setup page of the router goto Mac address clone, click enable and "get current pc mac", Apply.
4) hook router to modem.
5) restart router

Last edited:
Yea the external IP you will get will be different for each mac address it is assigned too.
I personally use a wrt54gl w/ddwrt on my Comcast service, but have noticed some providers you need to clone the mac address of the computer after your ISP assigns you an IP otherwise they will not work. That may be the case where you are at.

i dont have my wrt54gl here with me but plan to reflash with the firmware from linksys when i get it to just give me a little less headache and hopefully it will work but for now im going to keep trying to get this to work

68.52.19.** is your WAN IP - the IP address of your modem. The 192.168.x.x is your private IP since you have network address translation (NAT) enabled. Are you setting up port forwarding for TCP and UDP packets on those ports for the game you want to play?

68.52.19.** is your WAN IP - the IP address of your modem. The 192.168.x.x is your private IP since you have network address translation (NAT) enabled. Are you setting up port forwarding for TCP and UDP packets on those ports for the game you want to play?

yes for some reason like i said above i forwarded 5900 to the lan ip and it came up as open but 12203 still shows as closed

EDIT heres a screenshot of the server where i did netstat

Attachments

• netstat.jpg
    netstat.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Back