• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't connect to client

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
I installed v.7.6.21_x86 on a Dell laptop with a gtx 1050, Win10(Home) but when starting the Web Control get a"Can't connect to client" message. I checked Firewalls settings, checkmarked FAHclient as an allowed app, even restarted the system, but the connection failure persists. What's strange is the Advance Control icon is not present in the Hidden Icons section(lower right).

Any idea what I'm missing?

What happens when you try to open FAHControl manually? Can you share your config.xml file? By default, the client should be setup for passwordless access to 127.0.0.1.

Should see something like this in config.xml

Code:
  <!-- Remote Command Server -->
  <command-allow-no-pass v='127.0.0.1'/>

Hmmm yea, I can't even get to FAHcontrol, the icon doesn't show down in "hidden icons". I may have to abandon the laptop as a folder, it blue screens over every little thing, like launching GPUZ or Precision X. Oh, one thing I forgot- this laptop has an Intel Integrated Graphics in addition to the GTX 1050, I have de-selected it a couple times but it keeps returning as the 'default'.

I'm going to try an older nvidia driver, I've already switched a couple times. :shrug:

So I re-installed w10, got the gtx1050 set as default over the Intel 630, just using the nvidia driver that Windows chose. Installed fah v.7.6.21_x86. So far so good, nothing exploded. I'm guessing all the blue screening was the downloaed nvidia graphics driver. The only real hardware issue this laptop has, is an aging battery.

OK, the system is stable, she folding but as a laptop it's getting quite warm. The Dell Inspiron-15-7567 is a gaming laptop, has appropriate construction and cooling for such, but needs some help. Years ago my step-daughter gave me a laptop cooler gizmo, never used it, but this morning I dug it out of my e-waste bin and put it into service.

cooler.jpg

Yeah, laptops are going to get really hot folding GPU. The forced air fan/cooler base is a must!

Yeah, laptops are going to get really hot folding GPU. The forced air fan/cooler base is a must!
Even though this 5 year old laptop had been 'retired' from daily service, I wasn't quite ready to chuck it into e-waste, always wanted to utilize it's GTX 1050. The cooler is making a noticeable difference, don't want to set my computer room on fire.

:comp:

A screenshot of the laptop at work. It's not going to be a 'power-house' folder, but can put up some points while I switch the 1080ti over to Linux folding.

screeny.png

Attachments

• screeny.png
    screeny.png
    37.2 KB · Views: 2
Rather than start a separate thread I thought I'd use this existing 'client' thread...

I wanted to add back the cpu slot so as to pick up a few extra ppd from the 16 thread i5 E-2650 Xeon. But, the FAHcontrol just would not save my slot settings, so I edited "/etc/fahclient/config.xml " in the nano editor. Added the line
Code:
<slot id='0' type='CPU'/>
under Folding Slots and all's good.

I am just at a loss to understand the "why" as in why the settings did not save using the FAHcontrol app. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Only thing I can think of is if the power went out, I've had this happen where if you don't do a shutdown, even if you click save, the setting don't take.
I went to 1 of my folders and made a cpu slot no problems, are you sure your not in the twilight zone? :rofl:

Only thing I can think of is if the power went out, I've had this happen where if you don't do a shutdown, even if you click save, the setting don't take.
I went to 1 of my folders and made a cpu slot no problems, are you sure your not in the twilight zone? :rofl:
No twilight zone here, but I think you might be snorting too much of that Carolina Reaper. :rofl:

Have you tried finishing it and then removing? Close and Restart the client, reboot.

If that doesn't work in advance/expert try adding a Extra client option (name cpu, value false)

Last edited:
OK, I see what is going on here, after you removed the slot, unpause it and the client will clean it up.

Have you tried finishing it and then removing? Close and Restart the client, reboot.

If that doesn't work in advance/expert try adding a Extra client option (name cpu, value false)
Yes, tried those again, plus added a "name cpu, value false" with the same result- settings not saved.
OK, I see what is going on here, after you removed the slot, unpause it and the client will clean it up.

Tried that, no luck. Another anomaly I noticed is that when choosing "fold" or "pause" or "finish" all the slots do so, not just the slot highlighted. ??

I'll let the GPU slot return its WU, then I'll dump the FAHControl.db and /etc/fahclient/config.xml and reinstall the client and fahcontrol.

You can pause or unpause a slot by right clicking on it and pick what you want it to do. If you use the big buttons, it will fold, pause or unpause for all slots.

You can pause or unpause a slot by right clicking on it and pick what you want it to do. If you use the big buttons, it will fold, pause or unpause for all slots.
Yep, that does work(I forgot) But as before any settings under Config for Slots or in the Expert tab do not save. System reboot has no effect either.

O.K., I got antsy and decided to fix it or fubar it...edited the /etc/fahclient/config.xml file, reinstalled fahcontrol...CPU slot gone!

Back