• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant overclock my comptuer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes this comptuer was built using custom parts. i made it myself. ill post the parts in my sig for ya :)

sorry i didnt check the picture before i posted it. cpu-z was on the same screen for both lol.

heres a good one.

Attachments

• P140609_10.37.JPG
    P140609_10.37.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 58
  • P140609_10.37[01].JPG
    P140609_10.37[01].JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 54
  • P140609_10.38.JPG
    P140609_10.38.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Untitldsed-2.jpg
    Untitldsed-2.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 65
Pics of your bios are very helpful.

Reset your CPU frequency to 200 and your cpu multiplier to stock. I.e., let's start from scratch or baseline now that I see you have more OC options in your bios than you realized.

I note from your sig that you are running DDR2 1066 ram at DDR2 667 but that line is grayed out. What are your choices in the line above that where is says "MaxMemClk"? If you change that does the line below it become active? In this case, I wouldn't go all the way to DDR2 1066 but I would bump it up to DDR2 800 if you can. Even though the ram is advertised to do 1066 speed an awful lot of people find the computer actually isn't stable at that ram frequency. This is probably due to weaknesses in the Phenom 1 integrated memory controller.

To change the NB frequency go to : CPU-NB multiplier. Change from "auto" to "manual" and adjust the multiplier number so as to remain as close to 1800 mhz. as you overclock.

To change (lower, lower in this case) the HT frequency go to K8<->NB HT Speed. Same as above with NB multiplier. Keep it at or below 1800 mhz.

It is probably a good idea to give the CPU NB voltage one little bump.

Why are you running DDR2 1066 ram at DDR2 667? In this case, I wouldn't go all the way to DDR2 1066 but I would bump it up to DDR2 800. Even though the ram is advertised to do 1066 speed an awful lot of people find the computer actually isn't stable at that ram frequency.

Raise your "Memory voltage" to the mfg. recommended amount for DDR2 1066. You're not running it that fast but it should give you a little cushion at the speeds between DDR2 800 and DDR2 1066 that you will be working with.

As you raise the "CPU frequency" the ram speed, front side bus, HT, NB CPU all increase in lock step. If you had a black edition cpu you could increase the cpu multiplier without affecting those other component frequencies. That is the value of the "BE" capable processors: you can speed up the main performance component without putting additional stress on the other stuff. But since you don't have a be cpu that is neither here nor there. Anyway, as you raise the CPU frequency, adjust the HT and NB CPU frequencies so as to stay around 1800.

You will also need to bump up your CPU voltage in increments as the frequency increases. You can easily and safely go as high as 1.375v AS LONG AS YOUR TEMPS DON'T GO TO HIGH. 60-65 Celcious is safe when stress testing FOR SHORT PERIODS, not more than 60 min. I would say. I highly recommend you get better cooling as soon as you can.

The one bios feature you are missing that would be helpful is the ability to change the ram timings (latencies) but with the limited headroom of your cpu it prolably is a non issue.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
i lowered the ram because i thought thats what you meant i had to do to lower stress lol. ill put it upto 800 again. ill try changing some settings now. hope it doesnt need a reset my comptuers in the most annoying spot to move and unplug everything.

Also i have put on a coolermaster tx2 on the cpu. it use to idle at around 45 degrees now 30. and at max stress around 47 max temp and the heater was on so room temp was pretty high at the time.

ive done everything you said except for raising the CPU NB voltage. im not sure what the default is lol. im on my old comptuer replying while the good one is in bios settings still :p

The default CPU NB voltage is usually around 1.25. Bump it up one small notch. You don't need to pull the power plug to reset the computer. Just do a "warm reboot" , i.e., F10, " Enter".

ok i tried changing f8 to 1800 then ram ddr800 to 2.05 or something and cpu nb to 8x and the computer wouldn't boot. have i done something wrong?

Your temps look fine. Just keep an eye on them as you overclock. They will go up. The TX 2 may be adequate for modest overclocking. Tell me about your case ventilation. How many case fans and what size? Where are they located? Sometime you might try taking the side panel off your case and directing a box fan onto it. If your cpu/core temps drop several degrees you need better case air flow.

f8? Is you cpu frequency set at 200 and your multiplier to 11x? Set the cpu voltage to stock (1.25v) to begin with. Make sure your memory is getting mfg. recommended voltage.

Last edited:
hows this looking now? i realised the NB frequency has raised. is this good or bad? what should it be at?

Attachments

• ufdsfdstled-2.jpg
    ufdsfdstled-2.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 49
Now you're catching on! Lower your NB frequency to get it closer to 1800. At 2137 I doubt it would be stable under load. Give me a screen shot of SPD tab under CPU-z if you can.

im running occt now. its been on for around 10 mins and temps not going higher than 44 degrees today. at 100% cpu. i took a photo of my comptuer inside to of the fans. the top fans pulling air in from the top of the case then its going through the cpu fan through the heatsink and then the one at the back sucks it out. and thers another fan on the side panel pulling air out and the power supply fan is pushing air down to i think. all my case fans are 80mm i think the cpu fans 120mm and not sure about the power supply fan. but my pc temps never over 50 even when my house heatings turned up and pc is doing a stress test

heres the inside fans and the screenshot you wanted :)

Attachments

• spuz speed.jpg
    spuz speed.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 49
  • P140609_12.57[01].JPG
    P140609_12.57[01].JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 47
now to lower the nb frequency. when i go into bios and choose cpu nb it has 5x 6x 7x 8x and 9x. which one should i choose? ive made nb-ht setting 1600mhz. just not sure about how to set the cpu nb setting

Stock is 1800 mhz and that would be at 200 mhz front side bus x 9. Since you are now running your fsb at 237.5 then try 8x. That would give you 1900 mhz. It may be stable there. Hey, if its stable where you are at (2137.6) more power to ya as it would help performance a little bit.

Also, I note that your DC mode is "ganged". AMD is now recommending to mb manufacturers that they eliminate that option in bios so that DC can only be "unganged". But I don't see an option for that in your bios so its neither here nor there. If its stable in ganged its okay.

Though your case fans are small (they look to be 70 or 80mm) they are in good places for good ventilation and since your PSU is at the top with a big fan (120mm?) sucking heat up and tossing it out the back you are probably okay. But wait, did your say your psu fan is pushing air down? That's bad. You want it to be assisting the top fan. Basically, you want the fans at the top and top back to be pulling warm air out the case and ones in the front, bottom and sides to be blowing cool air in. Turn them around if that is not the way they are now operating.

Last edited:
just a question before i change it to 8x again. ive tried twice and the comptuer wouldnt boot. the voltage is on auto though how high should i make it?

EDIT - the power supply bottom fan is pulling air up into it and out through the back. i dont have any fans on the front of the comptuer though. im looking at getting a new case when i have the money for it. one that has fan spots in good places. this has fan spots but in stupid spots at the front

Last edited:
oh and do i change cpu nb voltage to like 1.27 (or what do you recomend?) or do i change nb chip?

Try the smallest increase increment on the cpu nb. If stock is 1.25 then go to 1.275 or something like that. Don't change the nb chip voltage. That will have no effect on the stability of the computer unless you are overclocking the onboard video. Used to be the NB chipset housed the memory controller and it was necessary to increase the voltage when overclocking. These days however the memory controller (ICM) is built onto the cpu die. Unfortunately, they still use the NB terminology to refer to the chipset which gets confusing.

Try the NB at 8x one more time and if it doesn't boot put it back to 9x. How did OCCT come out at 9x? Was it stable?

When you get a new case you might look at the Antec 300. Inexpensive with good air flow. 140mm fan at the top, a 120 at the top back and places for additional fans in the front and side.

it was all stable at 9x. i made it 1.265 which was the smallest step up from 1.25 and left multiplier on auto. is there a way to see what voltage its at? so i can be sure how much to increase it

tried 8x with 1.265v 8x 1.285 8x 1.3 and all no boot. also tried auto with 8x and no boot. what could be the problem with it?

I dunno. That's so weird! Do you know for sure what he stock NB CPU voltage is? Maybe I gave you a bumb steer when I said 1.25 and we are going too high. Lower it but leave it multiplier at 8x and see if it will boot.

Wait a minutie! After looking again at your bios screen shots I realize I told you wrong. The K8 <-> NB HT Speed is under the "Chipset" section. Set both lines under "Onboard GPU" to auto. My middle aged eyes deceived me. I originally thought it read "Onboard CPU". Instead, under "Jumper free Configurations" and "Overclock Options" set the CPU NB multiplier and voltages there. I'm guessing it wouldn't boot because we had the voltages in the NB chipset section far off.

Do you have a PC Health section in bios? You can set voltages to "auto" and check them there if you want to know what stock is.

Last edited:
Back