• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Catalyst 14.9 GPU_FAH unstable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Only FAH crashed the Catalyst driver and only FAH closing caused BSoD.

I'll need a magnifying glass to see any details. Old eyes syndrome :shrug:

Downloading Sandra 2015 (build 2140) I'll see what that says.

I installed sisandra2015. When ever I try and launch the cpu/processor module to see the info, it BSODs.

I only see 3 memory slots listed @4GB each, but yet it lists system memory @24GB total. Same for CPU-Z. :confused:

Turned off NUMA in BIOS and now I'll have to short out the battery to recover. It won't POST now. :-/

I've installed Catlyst 14.4 to see if FAH will work trouble free, but I think it's maybe something deeper in the BIOS.

Well I got Humpty-Dumpty back together again. Reset and reconfigured the BIOS. PITA because the short points are behind the 2nd graphics card. Next mod will be to solder a switch across those points and locate it in an accessible location lol.

Sandra CPU info module still causes a BSoD every time :(

Now to run FAH on 14.4 driver.

It might be a dicey card. I switched the boot card settings in the BIOS from slot 3 (cpu1) to slot 6 (cpu2) and now FAH slot 2 is the crashy one.

The definitive test would be to physically swap the cards, but keep the boot settings the same.

Interesting finds sparkomatic... :)p )

I just don't see how a dicey GPU can cause a BSOD upon Sisandra requesting CPU info..

Sisandra digs its hooks deep into the hardware. Apparently it went too deep for my present win7 config on this machine.

Server hardware is much more exacting and less forgiving of OS slop than desktop machines. Setup properly they will run like a tank. I must still have some fine details to work out.

Crashing Catalyst drivers is another issue that seems to follow only one of my GPUs.

DLed Catalyst 15.7 WHQL driver and installed it. Running GPU_FAH now. We'll see...

Don't know the PPD output, but the chips are running cooler as promised by AMD.

Last edited:
Sisandra digs its hooks deep into the hardware. Apparently it went too deep for my present win7 config on this machine.

Server hardware is much more exacting and less forgiving of OS slop than desktop machines. Setup properly they will run like a tank. I must still have some fine details to work out.

Crashing Catalyst drivers is another issue that seems to follow only one of my GPUs.

DLed Catalyst 15.7 WHQL driver and installed it. Running GPU_FAH now. We'll see...

Don't know the PPD output, but the chips are running cooler as promised by AMD.

Free sync.... Of course they would release a seemingly good driver AFTER I switched to Nvidia. lol

Hope this driver works for you Audio :)
If not, perhaps it's tim,e to dig deeper. Maybe even do a quick system image and reinstall windows server.

So far 15.7 is 15kPPD slower than 14.9, but if it doesn't crash, it's worth it.

@SP I had to thank you for giving me a good laugh, I hope you were kidding about opening up a 1x slot so a vid card could be put in there, I am naïve enough to buy it if you sell it for a good enough price.

@Audio If it's running cooler and only a 15k loss but keeps you up for a longer period, then it's a good thing right. After reading all this, You have more patience than me. Hope these new drivers work out for you.

Last edited:
So far 15.7 is 15kPPD slower than 14.9, but if it doesn't crash, it's worth it.
:thup: Not a terrible hit in PPD to be stable.
@SP I had to thank you for giving me a good laugh, I hope you were kidding about opening up a 1x slot so a vid card could be put in there, I am naïve enough to buy it if you sell it for a good enough price.
hahah I'm dead serious, I took a hot knife to the back of the slot, and plucked in my GPU.

It worked great for about a month, then the system got wonky then it simply never powered on again. Only after the tear down I realized what happened :p

"Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" error in Windows 7 or Windows Vista

Symptoms
Your PC may temporarily hang or become unresponsive, and you receive the following error message:
Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

Cause
This behavior can occur for one or more of the following reasons:

You may need to install the latest updates for your display driver
Visual effects, or too many programs running in the background may be slowing your PC down
The GPU is taking more time than permitted to display graphics to your monitor

Note: If you are using an older video card, there may not be a video driver that is fully compatible with your version of Windows.
Resolution
To resolve this issue, follow the steps in the methods starting with method 1 and then proceding with method 2 if that solution does not resolve the issue.
Method 1: Increase the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) processing time by adjusting the Timeout Detection and Recovery registry value
Timeout Detection and Recovery is a Windows feature that can detect when video adapter hardware or a driver on your PC has taken longer than expected to complete an operation. When this happens, Windows attempts to recover and reset the graphics hardware. If the GPU is unable to recover and reset the graphics hardware in the time permitted (2 seconds), your system may become unresponsive, and display the error “Display driver stopped responding and has recovered.”

Giving the Timeout Detection and Recovery feature more time to complete this operation by adjusting the registry value, may resolve this issue.

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up the registry in Windows 7, see Back up the registry

To have us modify the registry value for you, go to the "Fix it for me" section. If you prefer to modify the registry value yourself, go to the "Let me fix it myself" section.

Fix it for me
To fix this problem automatically, click the Fix it button or link. Then click Run in the File Download dialog box, and follow the steps in the Fix it wizard.
Microsoft Fix it 50848 Fix this problem

Notes

This wizard may be in English only. However, the automatic fix also works for other language versions of Windows.
If you are not on the computer that has the problem, save the Fix it solution to a flash drive or a CD and then run it on the computer that has the problem.

Let me fix it myself

Exit all Windows based programs.
Click Start, type regedit in the Search box, and then double-click regedit.exe from the results above. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
Browse to and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers
On the Edit menu, click New, and then select the following registry value from the drop-down menu specific to your version of Windows (32 bit, or 64 bit):

For 32 bit Windows
Select DWORD (32-bit) value.
Type TdrDelay as the Name and click Enter.
Double-click TdrDelay and add 8 for the Value data and click OK.

For 64 bit Windows

Select QWORD (64-bit) value.
Type TdrDelay as the Name and click Enter.
Double-click TdrDelay and add 8 for the Value data and clickOK.
Close the registry editor and then restart your computer for the changes to take affect.

If this method did not resolve the issue, continue to method 2.
Method 2: Install the latest updates
You might need to set Windows Update to automatically download and install recommended updates. Installing any important, recommended, and optional updates can update system features and other software that might help to fix your hardware problems. To update to the latest display driver for your graphics hardware using Windows Update, click the link specific to your version of Windows and follow the steps in the that article:

Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly in Windows 7

Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly in Windows Vista

If installing the latest updates did not resolve the issue, continue to method 3.
Method 3: Investigate possible issues with visual effects or background programs
Having multiple programs, browser windows, or email messages open at the same time can use up memory, and cause performance issues. Try closing any programs and windows that you are not using.

You can also adjust your PC for better performance by disabling some of the visual effects. Here’s how to adjust all visual effects for best performance:

Open Performance Information and Tools by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type Performance Information and Tools, and then, in the list of results, click Performance Information and Tools.
Click Adjust visual effects, if you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
Click the Visual Effects tab, click Adjust for best performance, and then click OK.
Note: For a less drastic option, select Let Windows choose what’s best for my computer).

More information
For more information about Timeout Detection and Recovery, see Timeout Detection and Recovery of GPUs through WDDM.
Properties

Article ID: 2665946 - Last Review: 02/12/2013 04:56:00 - Revision: 8.0
Applies to

Windows Vista Business
Windows Vista Enterprise
Windows Vista Home Basic
Windows Vista Home Premium
Windows Vista Ultimate
Windows 7 Enterprise
Windows 7 Home Basic
Windows 7 Home Premium
Windows 7 Professional
Windows 7 Starter
Windows 7 Ultimate

Keywords:

kbfixme kbmsifixme kbcip KB2665946
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2665946#bookmark-LetMeFixItMyselfAlways

I've used this before, but in my case it was just a really unstable GPU overclock.

However that's not your case so I hope it works

So far just the new drivers are working, but I've downloaded the .msi executable to do the registry changes if needed now or in the future for windows 7.

Back