• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS A8N-SLI :: Work Arounds:Expensive Bugs:Tweaking:Info

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Polargoat said:
Maybe a stupid question but do the a8n-sli deluxe bios's work on a regular a8n-sli board? Im currently running 1014 and think Im havin some issues with overclocking. I cant seem to get my xp4000 to run 3-4-3-8 1T at 250x10 with HT at 3 or 4. This ram is supposed to run 250 at those timings np so Im stuck.
FYI: Im a little new to overclocking AMD's, Ive converted from Intel which were so much easier to o/c IMO.

A8n-sli vanilla, deluxe and premium all use different bios's

I used a thermaltake fan on my chipset fan. It fits perfect and pushes alot more air. The best thing to do IMO is to replace the heatsink/fan all together. Asus probably used a stickypad for thermal paste and there are better heatsink/fan combos for the chipset. I think I got my Thermaltake fan from frozencpu.com , It came with a heatsink and I just pulled the fan off.

which BIOS is the best?

New member, and I gotta say that your thread and this forum rock. I've learned that I'm "stuck" with a Venice core and the A8N-SLI board, and I'm 18.5h stable at the settings in my signature. My question is, how do I proceed? Is there a BIOS that will accept a memory divider and a CPU freq.>240? Or do I need to get myself some overclockable ddr500 RAM? I'd love to hear what you think, and keep up the good work.

Try dropping the RAM divider so you don't run at 1:1 if you want to push the FSB further... Just wish I'd bought faster RAM myself :bang head

Kosh42|EFG said:
Try dropping the RAM divider so you don't run at 1:1 if you want to push the FSB further... Just wish I'd bought faster RAM myself :bang head
The RAM dividers are extremely unstable with my Venice, even when RAM is underclocked. This same CPU and memory ran fine with dividers with an A8V Deluxe. This mobo/BIOS just sucks for Venice cores unless you run 1:1... and for that you need expensive RAM. :(

So, I'm stuck until they improve the BIOS. I consider myself lucky that I'm stable with the 5/6 divider... it would be nice to be able to try some faster RAM to see if I can up the CPU freq. without having to buy it, lol.

Problem with Hanging mouse cursor

Hi guys,

I´ve looking around to find about this problem, but couldn't find anything (yet).
So, I decided to post it.
Ever since I started using nTune, Cool & Quiet or any of the monitors I get occasional hickups of my mouse cursor; i.e. it just hangs for a few seconds, upto maybe 15 seconds.
I am not sure which of these tools or conjunction thereof causes it.

Has anyone here experienced this?
Is this cuased by COol&Quiet? And if so, is using CrystalCPUID a solution?

Or is it becuase I set my Power settings to Minimal Power Settings (as instructed for Cool&Quiet) but I have set my harddisks to turn off after 30 minutes (no, the hang has not to do with harddisk turning off or on), so not a "pure" minimal power settings.

Any ideas?

Thanks
PietPara

Just got the A8N32-SLI Deluxe...I think I'll set it to Standard and break it in slowly...There seems to be a lot of issues...Playing BF2 in SLI is definitly a issue anyone else not able to play the game with this Board...Anyone play it with this Board??? I've got lots to learn...

Last edited:
Well, after killing three SATA drives over the past 9 months (a Raptor 74 and twice for a Hitachi Deskstar) I've decided to RMA my mobo. The ASUS tech and I think the IDE chipset is the culprit. Luckily the drives were replaced under warranty as is the mobo. Anyone else experience anything similar to this?

BTW, ASUS will cross ship a replacement mobo for a $10 fee if you request it.

Hardware Upgrade

I have ordered the following upgrades for my premium. G.Skil F1-3200PHU2-2GBNS DDR I PC3200 2.5-3-3-6Dual Channel and AMD 3800+ X2. I understand that the G.Skil can only OC to about 219FSB but I expect for a gaming rig this combination should have good results. Any thoughts on this.

Thanks

Man if you must buy Asus - buy a8n32. It is widely known that this one is better overclocker at 1T than premium one. ps. If I were You I`ll wait for AM2.. Then buy DFI. // Leave this ...t //

Last edited:
six4withafro said:
So, I'm stuck until they improve the BIOS. I consider myself lucky that I'm stable with the 5/6 divider... it would be nice to be able to try some faster RAM to see if I can up the CPU freq. without having to buy it, lol.

I don't think this is just luck. I'm running rock solid more than a week with divider 5:6 htt 278, stock vcore and stock cooler. :sn:

MiracleMan said:
I don't think this is just luck. I'm running rock solid more than a week with divider 5:6 htt 278, stock vcore and stock cooler. :sn:
Hmmm, maybe this issue with Venice cores and memory dividers only plagues the "Deluxe" version of the board? Both of you have the "vanilla" version and can run dividers. I believe the rest of us with divider issues have the "Deluxe" version. The BIOS releases are different for the boards as well.

In any case, I am 100% sure that it is my motherboard causing instability when using memory dividers. I used this same CPU and RAM combination in an Asus A8V Deluxe and the dividers worked flawlessly. I have another really strange problem with this motherboard as well, so I am thinking about an RMA...

KillrBuckeye said:
Hmmm, maybe this issue with Venice cores and memory dividers only plagues the "Deluxe" version of the board? Both of you have the "vanilla" version and can run dividers. I believe the rest of us with divider issues have the "Deluxe" version. The BIOS releases are different for the boards as well.

In any case, I am 100% sure that it is my motherboard causing instability when using memory dividers. I used this same CPU and RAM combination in an Asus A8V Deluxe and the dividers worked flawlessly. I have another really strange problem with this motherboard as well, so I am thinking about an RMA...
It's sad if the deluxe version are plagued with this issue.
Asap I will change my cooler and try to break 2700mhz.
I'm not a Asus fan boy. I prefer Abit with my guts but they are scarcely avaliable down here, but this A8n are by far the more stable, reliable and easily overclockable mobo I ever had. Of course because nf4 and A64 venice, but still an amazing sistem.

Hi, I'm new to this overclocking mayhem but it great fun very addictive.

This is great thread OC-Master and other contributors, I’ve read it three times now gathering useful information and have managed a reasonable overclock on my rig :)

I have a question though with regards to the rather annoying HTT 3x reverting bug...... How the hell do you reset it? I was happily running at 230x11 HTT x4 before deciding to try and increase my OC to 235x11. When I booted into windows the bug had got me, x4 in bios, x3 in nTune.

I have read that HTT has no real affect on performance! Is this true as in a previous post you stated that your 3Dmark result were affected!

Any help would be much appreciated! :shrug:

How do I get the nvraid to work on this a8n32 ?

It keeps showing on the main page as ide 3 and 4
I have enabled nvraid the sata 1 and sata2 I have disabled the silicon image feature. and I have cleared my cmos also.

check my wires and all .... I simply cut my pc off and took out my old a8n deluxe and put the new a8n 32 in and all was well when i cut the pc off now it keeps showing up as ide 3 and ide 4.

Please tell me where im giong wrong thanks in advance.

MethMan

Back