• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help, Asus B550 problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dja2k

New PC build for a friend was running fine first 2 days. Did extensive testing with Chinebench and OCCT. No problems. Now today get a 1st beep on boot then 3 more beeps. Screen is black but does boot into windows. I can't seem to enter bios though, not even with Windows Recovery boot options to enter Bios that way. Any suggestions?

Asus B550 Strixx Wifi II
AMD 5900X
Corsair DDR4 64GB 2x32gb
Corsair 750w Gold
Asus 3l060 video card

First things first, what have you tested so far?

Did a quick search, closest thing I can find to that series of beeps points to the graphics card on Asus boards. I'd suggest checking that first - is it still seated? Power hooked up?

If it looks good, run the bare minimum. No drives, no GPU, only one stick of RAM. Outside the case if possible.

Ok reset video card and checked 1 by 1 ram sticks. Single sticks still gave beeps on boot. Cleared CMOS also but didn't change anything. Still can't enter bios.

I'd still try running it completely bare.

Also, my go-to on things like this is check the power supply. 99 times out of 100 it's fine, but if you have a multimeter check the 5 and 12 volt rails.

What was the last thing you did before it "went dark"? Might help narrow things down.

Nothing. Was working fine last night. Hmm I did go into BIOS and changed the ROG lighting on the board in the bios. Then shut it off.

Well that just makes it fun, lol. If the lighting change caused a "glitch", resetting the CMOS would've cleared it.

OK CMOS cleared after removing RAM, video card, making sure all cables are secure. No more beeps but did get that UEIF bios not compatible with my video card and has to use CSM. Weird my Bios still kept most settings except wrong time on there.

Looks like the first CMOS clearing defaulted to another BIOS. It's odd cause the screen was small with black boarders where it booted via CSM enabled. Did another reboot after shutdown and now BIOS shows full screen. I saw this behavior also at start when I 1st updated the bios and it disabled CSM.

Ok, maybe a bad bios, but if it was bad, it would've borked the board. Make sure you have the latest bios. Another thing to note is maybe the CMOS battery is going bad and not saving settings. Go to any dollar store and get replacement CR2032 battery.

Already changed the battery. Did a couple of restarts and error is back 🤬

So, you can get into Windows but not the BIOS? Or the BIOS is screwy, but you can get in, and it boots to Windows as well?

Bios is screwy cause I can see it reset it's self cause the ROG lighting on board is now back on when it's off

Ok I see that a solid white light stays on and underneath a yellow solid also. Now I can boot into windows anymore

I'll be honest, I've had shorts behind the mobo that grounded points to the case and caused some of these issues. But not all of them. Considering this worked initially and you didn't move the system - that's why I asked what you did beforehand - it's a board fault. My best suggestion would be reach out to Asus and see what they say.

Weird I cleared CMOS again, takes 1 min or more after I take out battery. When I go change bios settings especially the turning off ROG logo is when it goes bonkers.
Post magically merged:

I am back in Windows. Can a bios reflash help maybe bad flash but doubt it, been working on it 2 days without these issues.

Back