• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Check that cable splitter!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BugFreak

Short story but I think well worth it. Last night my internet dropped off so I had to have the Brighthouse repair tech come out today. He checked all the hardware which turned out fine but we still had no internet so he started checking the line and quickly found the problem. It turns out I had an old cable splitter on the line that had gone bad. He removed the splitter and we are back in business.

The part that is most shocking is the internet speed difference though. Out of curiosity I ran speedtest.net and compared it to my old results from the What's your connection speed thread that I posted a while back. My results then were 9.81 download and .97 upload. Now my speeds are:

4710697685.png

Basically, check your splitters! They could be costing you speed.

yup splitters go bad all the time. Thats why I order them 50 at a time lol. Now it takes me a month or better to use them all lol. But yes they do go bad frequently.

How lousy do the materials/workmanship have to be for a coaxial cable splice to go bad frequently ? I don't like this planet anymore and I want to go home. :)

We're talking about a y-shaped wire splice , a chunk of Teflon , in a metal case. You would have to try to screw that up. Teflon , wire , and metal are generally pretty resilient when we're talking about the temp outside in North America. Anywhere in North America. Wow. #*&! China.

We're talking about a y-shaped wire splice , a chunk of Teflon , in a metal case. You would have to try to screw that up. Teflon , wire , and metal are generally pretty resilient when we're talking about the temp outside in North America. Anywhere in North America. Wow. #*&! China.

Not quite that simple. Cable splitters are basically mini transformers, some cascading. Very easy to degrade and wear out if you're using cheap components (i.e not gold).

Truth be told while gold is ok they are just eye candy it's more than just wire Teflon and metal some have diodes or resister in them. Believe me when I say the outside temps play a major role in their failure. Imagine being in direct sun for the better part of the day and then let hit it with some water from your sprinklers. Needless to say environmental effect can take a heavy toll. This is why we change types or designs of our splitters and fittings regularly so we can visually see about how long they have been in use.

Can either get cable splitters, or setup a centralized cisco routing center in a room, route to entire house.

Did that with my last apartment. couple of cheapo cisco routers got for around $40 from cablesandkits, had the Cat5e pinned to the ceiling.

Back