• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Check this cooling mod out.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tacoman667

I decided that my front case fan<80mm> is inadaquate so I decided to try out the new 80mm Delta 68cfm. I got it in today and installed it and my case temps dropped to 22C witch is 1C off from ambient room temp and my CPU went to 26C idle and 28C load. That Delta 80mm is a freakin turbine engine and I was about to take it out and try a different fan then I started wondering. Where my intake on the front is, are holes where the air gets through and I know that obstructions in an air flow will cause noise so I took out my nibbling tool from Radio Shack and cut out those holes for 1 hole big enough for my 80mm Delta. I remounted my Delta to the hole and started it up. I think I cut down the noise by about 1/3rd and the air flows into the case even more then with all those small holes. My case temp before this mod would flux between 22 and 23C but now it's ROCK solid at 22C. I also got another 120mm YS-Tech fan for my DD cube radiator. Now I mounted that one on like the other one, I have 2 on it now, so that one pushes the air through and the other sucks out what is pushed through. I used Zip-Strips to mount them. Now my case temps are 22C and my CPU runs at 23-24C idle and 25-26C load. I cannot believe that 2 fans and a hole cutting would do such a great job in cooling. WOOHOO FOR ME!!

Congratulations! Glad you discovered some of the secrets to case cooling. There is no reason why your case temps should not be within 1C of ambient. I feel like I may have been slacking off in my responsibilities here for not making sure this is understood. Don’t forget to put filters on your intakes. You don’t want to plug your Cube up with dust.

Colin (Jun 27, 2001 09:32 p.m.):
Congratulations! Glad you discovered some of the secrets to case cooling. There is no reason why your case temps should not be within 1C of ambient. I feel like I may have been slacking off in my responsibilities here for not making sure this is understood. Don’t forget to put filters on your intakes. You don’t want to plug your Cube up with dust.

Be careful with the word "ambient". Ambient in this case means room temp, but ambient in reference to the CPU means the air about 1" from the processor which would be a case temp.

AMDguy - Understood and that is exactly what I meant. Thank you for the clarification.

Does your computer sound like a helicopter now? Because I have heard those new delta fans and they are annoying!

Doesn't sound like a helicopter, but more like a mini turbine engine. Hehe. Oh well, if I can have temps like this then I can live with it or I may even widen the hole another day and stick another YS-Tech 120mm 131cfm for the intake like on my cube. Those are half the noise producers that Deltas are but the Deltas are EXCELLENT fans. They may be loud but the performance is outstanding on them.

Back