• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

clean off thermal pad gunk???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
thanxs used some electrical solvent cleaner we use at wok for cleaning electrical contacts
(just happen to have some in shed )!!

You should probably finish up with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) from a drug store... It evaporates cleanly and will not leave any residue behind.

That solvent you used will likely leave gunk behind that isn't good for the thermal interface.

It depends how picky you are, but alcohol is really cheap and worth it IMO.

It will seem to work fine, but it will also leave residue behind and thats why it shouldn't really be recommended. Nail varnish remover contains a lot of junk that will be left behind when it evaporates.

I've used WD-40 to clean off the thermal pad junk on the NB hsf (the pink bubble gum-like compound). After that I cleaned it with 90% isopropyl.

worked great and no residue...although, I did have to clean it about 5 or 6 times with the alcohol just to make sure all the wd-40 was gone.

Back