• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

close to being finished

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

catkicker

For quite sometime I've had a project going on. With work and family the progres is slow.
Heres some pics of what I have so far.

Nice stuff. Its a phase change water chiller right? Extreme cooling has always interested me but I spend enough time with my water cooling all ready that I don't want to further complicate things. It looks like it will be awesome when its done.

I see a yellow dot in the sight glass. I'm not sure how yours is, but I think yellow means air in the pipes. Purge the pipes to prevent the oil from degrading. In particular, ester oil reacts with air to form undesirable contaminants.
BTW, I think you got the evaporator direction reversed. In general, the TXV should connect to the bottom and the compressor to the top. This way, liquid refrigerant will tend to stay in the evaporator instead of flowing into the compressor.

very nice work

i like the tev perfect for this job

and good work on the case i look forward to some frost:)

Looks great man.

Really nice job on the case, I am digging the plastic case "feet".

Whats up with the base on your block? In the picture it looks black, is that just because of the camera or did you do something extra to your block?

Again looks awesome man, keep up the good work!

Whats up with the base on your block? In the picture it looks black, is that just because of the camera or did you do something extra to your block?
Looks like oxidation from brazing. Sand it with very fine sandpaper and then polish the surface to remove the oxidation.

Dell_Axim said:
I see a yellow dot in the sight glass. I'm not sure how yours is, but I think yellow means air in the pipes. Purge the pipes to prevent the oil from degrading. In particular, ester oil reacts with air to form undesirable contaminants.
BTW, I think you got the evaporator direction reversed. In general, the TXV should connect to the bottom and the compressor to the top. This way, liquid refrigerant will tend to stay in the evaporator instead of flowing into the compressor.

The site glass had the guts pulled out of it while brazing so the heat would not damage it. The system had not been purged/presure tested at the time of the photos.

The valve controls the flow and volume of refigerant in to the condensor the receiver is used to hold excess refgerant.

Dell_Axim said:
Looks like oxidation from brazing. Sand it with very fine sandpaper and then polish the surface to remove the oxidation.

Yep, with all the brazing done it needs to be cleaned up and insulated.

Ad Rock said:
Looks great man.

Really nice job on the case, I am digging the plastic case "feet".

Again looks awesome man, keep up the good work!

The block has been insulated with armaflex to protect the processor and MB from condensation. The board is also covered with liquid electrical tape to protect it from moisture

catkicker said:

The block has been insulated with armaflex to protect the processor and MB from condensation.

Why/what were you brazing to your waterblock? I was under the impression that chillers used a "soft" tubing to connect the res and the block? Your not using copper tubing to make the connections are you?

:confused:

Also why would you insulate before lapping the base of the block? Did you insulate just to get a dry-run in and test the mount?

Ad Rock said:
Why/what were you brazing to your waterblock? I was under the impression that chillers used a "soft" tubing to connect the res and the block? Your not using copper tubing to make the connections are you?

:confused:

Also why would you insulate before lapping the base of the block? Did you insulate just to get a dry-run in and test the mount?

no brazing on the swiftech block. With very cold coolant flowing through the block it needs to be insulated so condensation does not form on the block and then drip onto the computer componets. I'm useing tygon tubing. If you look at
the picture of the block you will see that the tygon tubing has been covered with insulation to prevent condensation and to keep the coolant as cold as possiable. The swiftech blocks base is in great shape, I did not lapp it.

catkicker said:
no brazing on the swiftech block. With very cold coolant flowing through the block it needs to be insulated so condensation does not form on the block and then drip onto the computer componets.

The quotes below are why I was confused and was wondering why you were brazing anything to your block. Anyway I am not meaning to detract from your thread, sorry about this.

Dell_Axim said:

catkicker said:

It looks like he was refering to the system in general Ad Rock.. but the placement of the statment was just a little confusing.

Anyway.. looks like your getting ready to KICK it.. NICE!!
Watch out for this guy, that chicken neck voodoo stuff in the F@H fourm is scary :p ;) :sn:

Back