• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CM690 or Antec 900?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Harrison

Registered
Okay, so I'm planning on building a computer. I've been doing my research, and I've narrowed down my case choices to these two. I like the Antec (mainly because of its window and great airflow), but I've heard that it barely has enough room to fit a 8800GTX, and it's also pretty expensive. I like the CM690 because it has many places to put fans, and has good cable management, but I don't like its lack of a window, and I think it might have problems with an 8800GTX as well.

Which case should I get? Or, do you have another (preferably with wnidow) case suggestion that I should look at?

if you don't REALLY need a window, the CM690 is an excellent case, btw, you can buy a window kit and install a window by yourself.

Do you know if it will fit a 8800GTX fine? Or should I be looking at full tower cases?

I put an 8800GT in my 690 and there was plenty of room. I think it is the same length as the GTX but I'm not 100% sure on that.

I had my rig in a 900 for a while and jumped on the 690 when I saw it for $40. I really didn't care for the 900, I thought it was a pita to work with. Yes the 900 has a window but what good is a window when there is nowhere to hide all the ugly bunched up wires. Anyway my 900 is in the classifieds now as the 690 is just better at almost everything IMO (of course I don't like LEDs and windows though). The only thing the 690 is missing is a fan mount in the 5.25 bays, but it was very easy to attach a fan to one of the inner bay covers. It didn't even require any modding.

690 fanboy here. go for it.

and like afg34 said, coolermaster has windowed panels here, if you don't want to build one.

Antec 900. 8800GT fits with about 2 inches of extra room, plus, the drive cages is removable so the GFX card can be...case length...

Its also a damn good case overall. caseless my CPU temps were 4C higher than in the case. It has incredible airflow at lowest fan speed(which is dead silent) and keeps the inside case only 1F higher than ambient temps.

I have been in the same room as a CM690 and I can only say its too loud for my tastes, but my PC is in my bedroom as my HTPC and I demand silence since I sleep in the same room as it.

Do you know if it will fit a 8800GTX fine? Or should I be looking at full tower cases?

8800 GTX Fits fine in my Antec 900. You just can't have more the 4 HDD's. NewEgg last weekend had the 900 for $50 + ship. Wait for a deal like that to come up again if you really love the 900.

I looked closely at the 900 before choosing the 690. Of course, when the Stacker 830 came out for nice deal, I picked up that instead... Then the 690 came out for $20.

What could I do? I got both. :D

Prior to realizing that I don't like bright lights or windows on my PC, even though it resides under my desk, I had 2 8800gtxs in a 900. Wasn't the best fit for cable management, had to do a fair amount of modding, but it did fit.

I moved my PC into my 690 today and boy was I impressed with it. Really nice to work with, its quite, looks lovely and the airflow I would say is dam fine. I too was pondering over the 690 or 900 and im glad I went with the 690. Its quiet to, although I will be swapping the stock fans out for Yate Loons.

had a 900 ditched it, much to hard to work with, was a good air cooling case though.

the 690 is better quality and can cool just as well if utilized correctly and its a hell of alot sexier.

I moved my PC into my 690 today and boy was I impressed with it. Really nice to work with, its quite, looks lovely and the airflow I would say is dam fine. I too was pondering over the 690 or 900 and im glad I went with the 690. Its quiet to, although I will be swapping the stock fans out for Yate Loons.

For sure get some Yate Loons. I have all the 120s filled with them and the cooling is chilly and nice and silent.

Okay, so I'm planning on building a computer. I've been doing my research, and I've narrowed down my case choices to these two. I like the Antec (mainly because of its window and great airflow), but I've heard that it barely has enough room to fit a 8800GTX, and it's also pretty expensive. I like the CM690 because it has many places to put fans, and has good cable management, but I don't like its lack of a window, and I think it might have problems with an 8800GTX as well.

Which case should I get? Or, do you have another (preferably with wnidow) case suggestion that I should look at?
CM690 all the way. Much better overall case then the antec 900. Like above poster mentioned, buy a window kit and install it yourself, or pay someone to do.

Back