• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CML174B advice....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kid98

Registered
My refurbed cml174b arrived yesterday and my feelings are mixed on it. I was very happy to find that not a single nit was bad. I am running in DVI mode as I found Analog mode to be not as sharp. I am using the DVI out from my 9500NP 128 that has been hardware modded to a 9700NP. I can't seem to decide if the brightness adjust is really doing anything. This monitor seems too bright most of the time. If I correct with video card settings, I end up with games that are too dark or desktop and office aps that are too bright. I guess to troubleshoot I should ask, how much does the brightness adjust on your monitor affect the picture? Does it take it from overly bright all the way to dim? Perhaps that is what this monitor was refurbed for, but I can't seem to get it set right. Any advice or answers are greatly appreciated. Also I noticed several menu items are not selectable when in DVI mode, is this normal?? (the manual is pretty weak)

TIA

Kid

I can see some change when I change the brightness controls, but I have to constantly readjust my settings based on whether I am gaming or browsing or etc.... Overall the picture is very sharp, but I don't like the muddled reds when displayed on a black or dark background. I also can tell the difference when in close battles in ET and RTCW. This monitor is fast, but the crt makes a difference and delivers a smoother picture when those close quarter battles occur. I am going to send it back and just move up to a 19" crt like the Samsung 955DF. Maybe next year.....

Kid

After using this monitor for a week or so, I have decided to keep it. It is not quite as smooth as my crt was for gaming, but I don't see any trailing images. The colors that display correctly are beautiful but the monitor does have a problem with deep reds against dark backgrounds. Overall the picture is so sharp and the colors very nice. I am learning to use some third party programs to change my brightness, gamma, ect.... settings on the fly so that I don't have to go into display properties each time. I guess you could call me a convert at this point.......

Kid

Back