• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

COD DLC Map Pack$

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bda1967

Anybody here ticked off about having to pay for new maps for the PC version of COD BO? I know that console players have been doing it for some time but this is a new one for me being a PC COD player. First IW with no dedicated servers and now Treyarch with their DLC. $60 intial purchase plus a $15 map pack for a game with crappy graphics is not worth it IMO. I think that I'm done with the COD series for good now.

On the other hand BF3 is looking pretty awesome so hopefully we won't be forced to use Steam for it and get dedicated servers of course. :)

COD MW2 had pay to play DLC also. It was expected for Black Ops... I probably won't be playing the next one either. 60 dollars is more than enough for a game. Yes BF3 is looking awesome! I will be getting that :)

On the other hand BF3 is looking pretty awesome so hopefully we won't be forced to use Steam for it and get dedicated servers of course. :)
I'm annoyed that my retail version of BFBC2 doesn't require steam, and it isn't linked to my steam account. I hope that BF3 requires it..love steam.

Never got into CoD. Battlefield FTW :) (Though I hate to say that, because EA is really no better than Activision).

I hope for everything to use Steam. Well-designed overlay for the "social" part (add friends from current server, find friends on other servers, invite friends to your server, see achievements and stuff), download-anywhere-as-many-times-as-needed (as long as f-wad idiot companies don't tack on "activates only 4 times!" crap), and totally non-intrusive DRM that you never even notice is there.

I bought the COD:MW2 map packs when they went on sale for 50% off and I still did not feel I got my money's worth. I have zero intention of buying the Blops map packs, esp since my friends and I have for the most part stopped playing blops.

Well I refused to buy MW2 so I wasn't aware that they downloaded their new maps too. My clan participated in the MW2/IW boycott along with numerous other clans. I just don't want BF3 to end up in the toilet like COD with these companies ruining PC games. Something tells me that EA will deliver what we all want in BF3 though, awesome graphics, new MP engine, dedicated servers and no DLC. I was thinking that if they stay away from Steam then the chances of paying for new map packs will be minimal.

How are those things even remotely related?

COD BO is a Steam game and now you have to pay for map packs through your Steam account. Now I did not play MW2 and this is the first COD game that I've played that requires steam and is charging for map upgrades. I never played BF2 either so I wasn't aware of paying for DL content with that game.

COD BO is a Steam game and now you have to pay for map packs through your Steam account. Now I did not play MW2 and this is the first COD game that I've played that requires steam and is charging for map upgrades. I never played BF2 either so I wasn't aware of paying for DL content with that game.

So? There are a ton of EA games that are NOT Steam games and have paid DLC. Blaming Steam for paid DLC is stupid.

No one is blaming Steam as it was a comment about how I feel about how the two are conveniently related and I hope that BF3 does not require Steam to play. Requiring Steam in order to play a game is stupid. Guess what... not everyone likes steam.

Guess what... not everyone likes steam.

A lot of those people are the same people who still think Vista is slow and inefficient compared to XP on modern hardware. Not saying you are, but "my friend said his friend said" is not an uncommon reason for disliking things. What, specifically, is your issue with Steam? I've personally not had a problem except for the delay getting HL2 unlocked way back when it was first released and the servers got overloaded. I also wish they would release native Linux versions of both Steam and Valve games, but I would make that same complaint against many other game companies, too.

I sadly bought both map packs for MW2, for a total of $30 bucks. I never felt so ripped off in my life, even though it was partly my fault. I have no intention of buying the Black ops maps since I got kind of burnt out on the series. It is gets kind of boring when you win almost every match and then lose ocasionally due to cheaters or hackers.

I'd rather put that $15 towards my BF3 pre-order. :rock:

Also in response to this tangent topic, I LOVE STEAM. It is possibly the best thing to happen to PC gaming in a while, there are such great deals, great community, excellent game support and it gave PC gaming relavance in a time where it was hurting. For all the people who hate steam, why? and what are you smoking?

My only issue with Steam is not really with Steam but with Treyarch forcing us to use valve anti-cheat with Steam in order to play the game. Steam as a game provider service is great and I can appreciate that. My issue is when the makers of COD BO forced us to use Steam knowing that they would be making us pay for map packs using Steam is my beef.

I'm not trying to give Steam a bad rap but I would rather stay away from it in BF3 and continue to use Punkbuster and hopefully we will have dedicated servers like BFBC2 and no paying for map packs like in BFBC2. So what I'm saying is I want BF3 to run like BFBC2 and not like COD BO.

I really like games that require Steam for one reason, it is the least intrusive form of DRM I've ever run across, what I really hate is games that are available on Steam but also use the other annoying DRM's at the same time.

It seems your issue is purely with the COD makers and not Steam at all. It is the developers choice on what anti-cheat system they use and on whether maps/DLC is free (less and less these days) or pay.

I am willing to bet that any big game will be charging for DLC now. Its the norm in this day and age. Hell you cannot even run your own server without buying one. COD4 IMO was the last of the great online games that allowed the pc player to play for free, mod the crap out of a game, and run it on their own server (I didn't care much for COD5). If BF3 is as good as its looking, I will pay for DLC. I still don't like doing that. But if its good stuff I will pay.

If a game company really wanted to make their game stand out and take some market, they would go back to that model. I am not sure what Homefront is like (online server wise) or any of the currently released stuff that is competing with COD etc.

Back