• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CodeGen S201 Server Case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tcg23

Registered
I posted a thread in the water cooling section asking about cooling, what WC can and cannot cool. Anyway, someone mentioned that I should get the CodeGen S201 Server case.

I was looking at the YeongYang YY-0221 server case.
The person who posted said the CodeGen S201 was better.

Well, as I always do, I have to research it first.
I've searched and searched for information and reviews on this case.
I found one uninformative review and no mfg website.
If anyone has seen a review or more information on this case, PLEASE post it here.
Also, if anyone here has the CodeGen S201 case, please post your thoughts.
Here's a link to the case at an online store:
http://store.yahoo.com/dealsonic/cods2atxserc.html

An here is a link to the YY case at direction:
http://www.directron.com/yy0221bk.html

Any input much appreciated..
-TheComputerGuy23

ohh, I have the yy cube case :D

I havnt seen the code gen in person, but It seems to me like the yy is the better modder enthusiast case, but the code gen is the best people who actually want a server.

The only gripe I have about the yy is that the motherboard compartment is not that deep, so my vid card lines dont fit with all my insulation- If you arent chilling you water that wont be a problem.

Other than that, its a great case to mod and has plenty of room (provided you dont use every drive bay- all 15 or so)

Man...that is a big case. With tons of fans. And lots of fans. And a few more fans. With a couple fans tacked on for good measure. It looks like what nealric said is true, though I think either case will give you what you need. And certaintly with fans.

I think I am going to stick with the YY.

I would mod two 80mm intake fans on the mobo side to sit ontop of the video card and the cpu/ram. Since there is not exhaust fan in the mobo side, I would put a blowhole up there.
What do yoiu think is the biggest size fan I could put at the top of the mobo compartment? I didn't realize how shallow the mobo side was until you mentioned it.
I will be running 6 hard drives, a floppy, a zip, and a CDRW/DVD ROM.
On the drive side, I would put an intake or two on the side and let the PSU and dual 92mm exhausts take care of the rest.

I don't like the CodeGen case, I'm not going to fill up all 5.25" drive bays in the YY much less 17 5.25" drive bays that are in the CodeGen.
I would imagine that the reason the codegen has so many 5.25" drive bays, is so that you can put each HD in a cooler that fits in the 5.25" drive bay.
I'm sticking with the YY, I just need to get my cooling sorted out.
I've decided NOT to go with WC.
The two exhaust and one intake on the HDD side, and 2 intake and one exhaust on the mobo side should be enough.

-TheComputerGuy23

I would mod two 80mm intake fans on the mobo side to sit ontop of the video card and the cpu/ram. Since there is not exhaust fan in the mobo side, I would put a blowhole up there.
What do yoiu think is the biggest size fan I could put at the top of the mobo compartment? I didn't realize how shallow the mobo side was until you mentioned it.
I will be running 6 hard drives, a floppy, a zip, and a CDRW/DVD ROM.
On the drive side, I would put an intake or two on the side and let the PSU and dual 92mm exhausts take care of the rest.

I don't like the CodeGen case, I'm not going to fill up all 5.25" drive bays in the YY much less 17 5.25" drive bays that are in the CodeGen.
I would imagine that the reason the codegen has so many 5.25" drive bays, is so that you can put each HD in a cooler that fits in the 5.25" drive bay.
I'm sticking with the YY, I just need to get my cooling sorted out.
I've decided NOT to go with WC.
The two exhaust and one intake on the HDD side, and 2 intake and one exhaust on the mobo side should be enough.

The case does have a fan and blowhole right over the proc- so no modding required there. Theres noi HSF that would be big enough not to fit. Keep in mind that I am running CHILLED water cooling. The block along with the necessary insulation protrudes about 6 in- I dont think any HSFs are bigger than 3 or 4.

there is a 120mil slot on the front, you could drill for another 120 on top if you want. But...
The case looks AWESOME with an oval window in the top. (Its even lotsa fun to install)

Thanks for the link dug...

I think I am going to stick with the YY case.
I'm not a flashy modder, I'm going to run Stealth fans, no LED fans. I'm not going to put any windows in this case, however I am going to put together some spot lighting via LED's so that a blue light will be emminating (sp?) from my case.

I was thinking, this case will be on casters, so if push comes to shove I could put an intake on the bottom of the case.

The pictures I have seen don't have a blowhole over the CPU, so thats why I thought about putting a fan on the side.

I'm not going to use the 120mm front intake because I would have to cut up the front bezel to get any decent amount of airflow.
I am going to put an intake or two on the HDD side, so I will have positive pressure, since by design the HDD side has negative pressure. With the PSU and 2x92mm fans out, I will have to put 2x92mm intakes to equal it out.
I think I finally have the plans written in stone, I won't have to upgrade for quite a while once I build this case.

2.4Ghz P4c
Chaintech 9cjs Zenith
4x256mb GeIL Goldem DDR3500 RAM
ATi Radeon 9700 Pro AIW
40gig IDE for Windows
5x2.1gig Ultra SCSI drives hooked to an Adaptec SCSI controller for BSD
Samsung 52x24x52 CD-RW/16x DVD-ROM
Floppy and ZIP drive.
Enermax Dual Fan 430watt PSU
And the YY 0221 Case

And my accessories will be..
Logitech MX500 Mouse
Everglide Optica Mouse pad
DD5+ Fan Controller
Vantec AeroFlow HSF
Akasa Sound Foam
Card Keeper for Video and SCSI.
All case fans will be Vantec Stealths

This will cost me about 2000.00, but it's been two years since I've upgraded, so this system will last me more than 2 years.
Since supposdly this chipset will support the prescott cpu.
Thanks,
-TheComputerGuy23

Looks like a nice build. That should serve you well.

I only I wish I could have $2000 to upgrade every 2 years.

lol, I'm single and I make what I consider good money.
My last pc upgrade cost 900 bucks and it lasted me 2 years. I really think this upgrade will last longer because it has an onboard SATA controller on the motherboard, so when the technology matures more, I won't have to buy a card for it.

I'm really looking foward to the upgrade, right now my main goal is to get my UNIX firewall going, I've not used BSD much, so it's taking some time.
I have my laptop and a pc I built for my sister, to work on for now.

What I like about upgrades is that I wait until there are systems over twice as fast as my current pc, before I upgrade.
My very first pc, a 66Mhz 486 IBM w/ Win3.1, next was a 366Mhz Celeron w/ 128mb win 98SE, and the computer I have right now, a 933Mhz PIII w/ 256mb of PC133.
Each upgrade I more than doubled the power and performance of my pc. Thats why the cost is worth it, and once I build this pc, the next upgrade after that will be SATA and the prescott CPU (both already supported by the mobo I am getting).
-TheComputerGuy23

Back