• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

COMCAST...God I hate thee

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beau_safken

Seriously...

I got setup for cable internet FINALLY due to the gheyness of my area and its now being up to date. And low and behold, my building was never wired for high speed internet service. Great...not only has my day become horrible but Comcast's telling me it will be 10 DAYS till they can get a guy to fix THEIR problem. Is this normal or what?

10 days? Perfectly normal, probably better then average ;)

Though you might be able to cut that don't if you raise a fuss about it, mileage will vary depending on your rage :p

That's not that bad. Last year the complex I was living in had a problem as well. The problem was that there were so many people in the same complex/area subscribing/using the same line that there was a node problem. All in all there were tons of packets being lost, thus resulting in a very slow and nearly un-usable connection. They said they would be on it within 30 days. They WERE infact out there the next day, and would continue to visit every couple of weeks. However, after all was said and done, they didn't have the line fixed until nearly a year later!
I only found that out recently, as I have not been there for over half a year now.
:( So look on the bright side, a week and a half is not that bad... that is, IF they fix in on that 10 day or so.... good luck... :\

Holy crap...Well 10 is a lot better than 30. I guess a little delayed satisfaction cant hurt, but I cant stand dial up...EVER. Oh well. Thanks for the encouragement fellas

when i first got cable i had to wait like a week before they would install it, then when the day came for them to install it, the guy showed up at like 7-8 in the morning and when we didn't expect them till 10-11am:)

I had a good experience with Comcast four years ago. They offered me such a good deal I even changed cable companies to get it.

I had cable TV from Knology and wanted to get high speed internet but it was not availlable yet in my neighborhood from them. Comcast high speed internet became availble in my neighborhood and offered this:
1. The first three months of high speed internet for $20 per month (including modem)
2. Free installation including running cable inside my house and under it
3. Free setup

I was still hoping to get Knology high speed internet but it was still not availble when the three month trial from Comcast was up. About that time a Comcast salesman came by my home and made me an offer I could not refuse. For the first twelve months I could get this for only $59 per month:
1. Regular + extended cable TV
3. Digital cable box
4. A bunch of premium movie channels
5. High speed internet
6. Free cable modem rental

That was less than $30 more than I was paying for cable TV withot any premium movie channels.

The funny thing is that somehow Knology must have found out I was getting ready to drop them. I don't know how because I had not contacted them yet. A few hours before Comcast came to install their cable service I got a call from Knology asking if I wan't high speed internet. Being curious I called back and but could not get a straight answer at first whether that was true. They finally admitted that high speed internet was still not available in my neighborhood. It all seemed like they had a tipoff and were willing to try anything including lying to stop me from switching.

The only problem I have had from Comcast was one time I called support after my internet service stopped working. I tried recycling the power on the cable modem and even waited a couple hours before I called. When I called I put it on my speakerphone so I would not be tied up. After 45 minutes I finally got a rep on the phone. After explaining why I called she proceed to explain that it was a known probem and berated me for wasting my time calling.

Personally I just love Comcast, best company I've ever dealt with. After all, they changed my bandwidth from 1.5 to 3 Mb without any additional charges.

I have had my troubles with comcrap but they have seemed to work themselves out and havnt had to call the support center in a while now. My first big issue was when I got cable internet back after giving it up for about 6 months. I bought my own modem and it took them almost a month to get the thing working. IT was all on their end. I had tickets escalladed up the chain almost every day. one day alone I was on the phone for 5 hours. It was ridiculous. Every time I would call I'd have to explain the it to the 1st level tech and they would have to read all the previous stuff that they had tried. THey would never just elevate me to the next level and would never let me talk to manager. I had a couple outright Lie to me about what was happening to get my connection working. I was so P.O.ed I conntacted every HIghspeed company I could but They were all DSL and I live a bit too far from the switching station. Speakeasy said they'ed try but wouldn't make any promises. Just as I called speakeasy to set me up, comcast finally got the connection working. I have never wasted soo much time on hold in my life as I did for those weeks.
Also I had a level 1 tech outright berate me once because I called when I didnt have a connection and powercycling didnt help. I was asking too many questions I guess that he couldnt answer and would not elevate my ticket. I needed my service as I had to get stuff emailed for work the next day but this aZZ didn't want to elevate the ticket to get it fixed.....

But its been a while since I've had a problem.....

It is the luck of the draw, I think. In the Chicago area, they are not real consistant on what they offer and realiability. Many different technologies at work because of merging cable companies. In several areas for their cable TV you have to have a special box just to pick up ESPN.

I have had a great experience with them, first on the NW burbs and now north of the city in Evanston. In 3 years I have had 4 short outages, my friends in other areas of the city have not has as good of luck.

I can say that their policies on addressing suspected issues are lax at best here. The techs even admit that they have to log a certain number of calls on a specific area for a tech will check out the problem. But I can't complain about my connection, usually tests 3.2 to 3.4 running 3 machines off my line.

Fightingpiper said:
At that point in time they were charging 10 bux a month for modem rental........
I turned my rented cable modem in and bought one for $59. Two weeks later they lowered the rental to $1 or $2 per month. I might have kept the rental if I had known that.

Back