• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Crashing - Help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gettys

So I had built my computer about a year ago, and all was going well. Recently I decided to get a 200 GB ATA drive, a new CPU fan, a DVD drive, a new case, and some rounded IDE cables (instead of thosr ribbons). I moved all the components from my old case into the new one, made all the connections, turned it on, and everything seemed fine.

After a short while, however, the computer would crash. Usually the sound would start to loop, then come back in, then loop again, and then the monitor would go off. Lots of times while the monitor is off there is still music playing and it seems that the computer is still working.

I am almost positive all the wiring is correct. The computer is still mostly the computer it was before I got this new case and those other fairly minor additions. The new power supply is even better than the last (not only in wattage, but also in brand).

The fact that the monitor was going off while the rest of the computer seemed to be fine made me think it was a video card issue. But my video card is a GeForce 6800GT that I recently bought, and I had absolutely no problems before I made these recent hardware changes. The only other thing I could think of would be that the round IDE cables I purchased were faulty. I could try swapping those out if anyone agrees that those might be the problem.

If anyone could provide any input on the possible cause of my woes, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Oh and I'm monitoring the CPU heat and with this case it is even cooler than it used to be. All my drivers are up to date, and I have Windows XP with SP2 and every single Windows update.

Back