• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer powering off

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sweetsntreats

Hi. My computer was shutting completely down while playing world of warcraft and sims 3. Adjusted graphics, screen resolutions and everything else Google told me to do.
Problem persisted. It then shut down a few times while using social media or web browsing. Changed the power supply, problem persisted. Tried a different computer and the problem persisted. These are desktop computers, low-end gaming computers I guess you could call them.
Two are on one power strip ,mine included.Thought maybe t was the power strip, bought a new one tonight, the $20.00 one from Wal-Mart! :) Shut down about two hours into WOW.
The compuetr next to mine that is always ran on this one strip preforms fine, no crazy complete and out of nowhere shutdowns. The computer I switched with is basically identical to mine except the graphics are a bit better, it also runs fine in its usual spot. But it will completely shut down when switched out with mine. No breaker problems or flicking lights before or after these shutdwons, no crackels or pops or burning anything. :confused::confused::confused: Am I like, cursed?

I would consider that the location where these two machines are being used doesn't allow for them to breathe and causes overheating problems leading to thermal shutdown. Either that or both machines have a marginal component that when pushed too hard results in a restart. Have you done any temperature monitoring?

Try this. Download and install these free programs: HWMonitor (non pro version), Prime95, 3DMark.

Open HWMonitor and leave it open on the desktop. Expand the use interface as necessary to make sure the sections that contain the "TMPINx" lines and the "package" or "core temp" sections are visible. Then run the Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes. Capture an image of HWMonitor at the end of that time.

Repeat this process using 3DMark and this time make sure the GPU temp section in HWMonitor is visible toward the bottom.

Attach the image captures to a post using the "Go Advanced" button. That will take you to a screen where there are tools for locating and attaching images. By the way, please don't give us a link to the images like in Photobucket or something similar. We want the images attached directly to the post rather than web site links.

Back