• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

computer shutdown randomly when working

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anonymous51

Registered
Hey guys I am having an issue where my computer shutdowns down randomly which has been happening for a few days now I am not sure what is going on when it shutdown it will turn back on sometimes get halfway into the os before shutdown sometime when its at the bios splash screen.

Now I am not running anything weird on my computer in fact i just wiped windows so everything is stock no modifications, and all the hardware is still good so I am not sure what the issue is, I do not know if it has something to do with the fact that i haven't cleaned it in a while i say since the start of this year.

I look forward to hearing from you Thanks Gabe.

Please list system specs including power supply brand and model.

How do you know all the hardware is good?

My first guess is the psu... only way to test is to use another though unless you have a psu tester and it shows low voltage.

My first guess would also be the PSU or the hard drive.

One diagnostic you can perform is to burn a self-booting "live" linux distro to optical disk and see if the computer boots and runs properly when the hard drive is bypassed.

Another diagnostic you can perform is to remove all but one stick of RAM and then try each stick in turn. If there are problems with the RAM that might cause it to show up.

Last edited:
Did the problem start before or after you did a fresh windows install?

Thanks for your help, also what did you use to clean out your computer? I look forward to hearing from you Thanks Gabe

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

I agree with first guess of PSU. Next would be heat.

Thanks for your help, also what did you use to clean out your computer? I look forward to hearing from you Thanks Gabe

My guess would be PSU. Load the PC with a stress test like RealBench and see if it restarts.

My first guess would also be the PSU or the hard drive.

One diagnostic you can perform is to burn a self-booting "live" linux distro to optical disk and see if the computer boots and runs properly when the hard drive is bypassed.

Another diagnostic you can perform is to remove all but one stick of RAM and then try each stick in turn. If there are problems with the RAM that might cause it to show up.

Thanks for your help, also what did you use to clean out your computer? I only have one stick of ram in my computer as buying ram is expensive and not all ram is compatible with my mobo. I look forward to hearing from you Thanks.

My guess would be PSU. Load the PC with a stress test like RealBench and see if it restarts.

Thanks for your help, also what did you use to clean out your computer? the issue started when I did a fresh install of windows and have been using the computer ever since.I look forward to hearing from you Thanks Gabe

Please list system specs including power supply brand and model.

How do you know all the hardware is good?

My first guess is the psu... only way to test is to use another though unless you have a psu tester and it shows low voltage.

Thanks for your help.

Gabe, is this a custom built computer or something factory built like Dell, HP or Lenovo? If it's a factory unit, what is the make and model? If custom, please create a Signature and list the components of the system. There is a tool for creating or editing a signature built into the forum. Just click on Settings in the upper right corner of the page and look down the left side. You can use my Sig or that of one of the other regulars as a pattern to help you know what we're looking for. If you are not sure about your components, a free program called CPU-z will give a lot of information about your hardware and bios settings. Particularly helpful to us are these four CPU-z interface tabs: "CPU ," "Motherboard," "Memory," and "SPD." You can capture screen images using Windows Snip & Sketch and attach them with your posts using the built-in forum tool which is accessed via the Go Advanced button.

I use an air compressor to blow the dust out of my computer. It's important to stop the fans from turning when you shoot compressed air onto them. Otherwise you can ruin the fan bearings by spinning them too fast. When you shoot compressed air into the PSU, jam something non electrically conductive into the fan, like a soda straw. The other fans you can just use your finger.

You say you started having this problem soon after reinstalling Windows. Why did you reinstall Windows? Were you having other problems?

What is your level of experience with building and servicing computers? I get the impression you are just starting out.

Last edited:
You can easily test if it is a heat related shutdown. Compare time to shut down with and without the side panel. You could also download Real Temp or Core Temp, turn on logging and check for temperature related issues. Check for bulging capacitors on your motherboard (See my signature for a MB repair tutorial. There are pictures of bad caps on motherboards. )

First..... :welcome:

I was all set to chime in with a different response but the more I think about it, the more I agree with the PSU. If it was RAM or CPU, you tend to see blue screens. If it's hard drive, you tend to get lock-ups. PSU is the most likely to cause your symptom.

As stated before, we need to know more about your machine to be able to give any further advise. As mentioned, create a signature with your system specs and let us know the age of your power supply. Without that, we are probably done.

First..... :welcome:

I was all set to chime in with a different response but the more I think about it, the more I agree with the PSU. If it was RAM or CPU, you tend to see blue screens. If it's hard drive, you tend to get lock-ups. PSU is the most likely to cause your symptom.

As stated before, we need to know more about your machine to be able to give any further advise. As mentioned, create a signature with your system specs and let us know the age of your power supply. Without that, we are probably done.
Thanks for your help, this might because newbie question but which was should I turn the power supply so that this does not happen again should the fan be face up or down because my computer is in my bedroom which is carpeted but there is a dust filter under the psu? I'm not sure if this matters or not? I look forward to hearing from you thanks Gabe.

Did you get a new PSU to solve the problem? I would put the PSU fan on the bottom so the fan is drawing air through the filter.

Place something under the feet of the tower to get it up off the carpet. If the bottom of the tower is making contact with the carpet and the PSU cooling fan is facing down then it is likely it is getting starved for air and overheating.

Thanks for your help, this might because newbie question but which was should I turn the power supply so that this does not happen again should the fan be face up or down because my computer is in my bedroom which is carpeted but there is a dust filter under the psu? I'm not sure if this matters or not? I look forward to hearing from you thanks Gabe.

Gabe. If the power supply is not up to the task, then the direction of the fan is moot. You list a Coolmax PSU but you don't list the model nor the age. We also still don't know what you're powering in the system. What CPU, what GPU, how many fans also might be a clue. More data = better answers. It is general knowledge these days that while PSU's aren't sexy, they are important. If the PSU is underpowered or if it is failing, not only can it cause the symptoms that you are describing but it can also take out some of your sexier parts like the CPU or GPU. So I'm really trying to stress to you that we would like more information so that we can better advise you and potentially save you from greater failure.

Edit: We also need to know if you have any overclocking going on. OC'ing can really put a strain on a PSU.

Last edited:
but there is a dust filter under the psu?
In every case, regardless where the filter is located, you want the outside dirty air to come through the filter so clean air enters the interior of the case.

I have carpet downstairs where a couple of my computers are. I just went to the local home improvement center and bought a 10 inch wide board used for shelving. You can typically get them in 6 foot or longer lengths. Many places will cut them to length for you if you don't have a saw. Or you can spend a little more for finished shelves in almost any length. Then just put this piece of wood under your computer. This does 3 important things. (1) It provides a flat surface for any vents or intake fans to easily draw cool air in from. (2) It lifts the computer slightly up off the floor in the event the washing machine hose breaks and spews a few 100 gallons of water all over the place flooding the floor while your kids are watching TV in the next room and instead of wondering what that unusual and annoying noise is they turn up the TV volume :mad: while the carpet becomes soaked but the computer remains dry because of that nice piece of wood. And (3) the wood (if not wet! :screwy:) is an insulator and may help isolate any static discharges carpet... err... nice "dry" carpet often generates.

Back