• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

confuzzlement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

2xNEHALEMx2

O HI THAR!!

ive been "out of the loop" or whatever in computer stuff for the past year maybe a little longer. so.. what has happened? any new stuff that has come out that is REALLY amazing and maybe worth buying?

lol :facepalm:

Intel's Sandy Bridge was released, and I believe AMD's Bulldozer will be released soon.

Sandy Bridge's 4c/8t CPUs pretty much beats all Nehalem/Gulftown CPUs. SB and GT are very close, even though GT is 6c/12t.

O HI THAR!!

ive been "out of the loop" or whatever in computer stuff for the past year maybe a little longer. so.. what has happened? any new stuff that has come out that is REALLY amazing and maybe worth buying?

lol :facepalm:

Interesting stuff in the last year:

AMD CPUs have plunged in price to their current, comically low levels. You can get a 955 black edition for just over $100

AMD has released a couple of APU platforms. Basically, they are like clarkdale, but they actually get the job done. For just over $100 you can get a board with cpu/gpu (APU), audio, lan, wireless. It'll do everything you'd ever need an HTPC or general use PC to do. It even runs some older games (ie, call of duty 2) at truly respectable framerates on respectable settings.

AMD and Nvidia have new (to you, if you're out of loop) graphic cards lines in the 500 and 6000 ranges, including dual GPU cards with ridiculous amounts of power (590, 6990)

AMD (will) release Bulldozer soon, which is their first major core re-work since Opteron, and is able to handle 128bits (sort of). Still uses their same old socket that they've been using since forever now.. The good old AM socket. Now AM3+.

Intel released Sandybridge (socket 1155, not 1156) under 'second generation core i3/5/7'. A reworked core and PCIE controller moved on-die as well as a locked baseclock differentiate them from the previous generations. Overclocking is done purely using the multiplier

Intel has released a few pictures here and there of their new platform and new socket which will use quad channel DDR3 (Socket 2011, X79 chipset).

SATA 6gbps and USB3 come on every motherboard now. The newest chipsets support Sata 6gbps natively while newer model boards of older chipsets, like new X58 boards, use a seperate controller.

You can now use a mouse in the bios on new motherboards.

wow. a lot has happened! thanks for the responses

i guess i should be looking to build a new computer (most likely AMD since they are so cheap) since i still have my core 2 duo and 8600gt on a g33 chipset from a while back...

wow. a lot has happened! thanks for the responses

i guess i should be looking to build a new computer (most likely AMD since they are so cheap) since i still have my core 2 duo and 8600gt on a g33 chipset from a while back...

Ya but wait. Bulldozer is 8 cores of a better architechture than the current one which maxes out at 6 cores. It'll cost you more for the CPU, but it's going to be faster.

If you really want a current gen AMD in the performance sector you have:

955 (965/75 are just the same cpu with a higher stock multi. Waste of $)
(4 cores)

1055T (75T as above. Waste of $)
(6 cores)

1095T (Same cpu as the 1055T but unlocked multiplier for easier overclocking)

1100T (A 1095T with a higher stock multi. Waste of $)

Average retail is $115,$150,$185,$195

Only 2 different CPUs. Just in different stock frequencies and with locked or unlocked multis.

The new CPUs will cost more, and I believe they said the top end one is about $320 or so. That's the 8 core. There is also a new generation of 6 core coming.

It's also worth mentioning that Intel's $230ish i5 2500K obliterates AMDs current 6 core CPU by a very wide margin. It's almost $100 more than a 1055T though. That's why it's worth waiting for the new ones.

Back