• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Connecting 2 computers together

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Itchie

I have 2 computers in 2 different rooms, and I need to transfer files between them. I don't want to run cables between them because that wouldn't be tidy or I'd have to drill holes in my walls. Right now, the only way to transfer files between them is to remove the hard drive from one comp, hook it up to the other and then copy the file. But that's too much work, especially since I need to do it so often.

I was wondering if there is an easier method. My friend told me that there's such a thing as network cards which use radio waves to transfer data. That would be ideal, however I searched for such a thing on the internet and came up with nothing. Does such a thing exist?

I've heard of remote nic card for lap tops and the like, from what I know it requires a main transmiter hooked to your line, and a remote nic card in each computer you wish to connect..

I've only seen this done for internet connections but I doubt it would be hard to do for networking..

-Trek

oh yea... wireless or thru phoneline...
theres choices!!!

all this good stuff...
and what, you thought.....
it would be CHEAP!!!!!!!
LMAOROTFLOLOL

Last edited:
Thanks for the help ppl. I've found exactly what i need, but it costs $399. That's about $600 Canadian adn I'm not rich. I'm going to look thru ebay first to see if I can get it cheaper used.

have you given thought to netowrking your computers??? i highly reccomend it, if not, get a zip disk drive and use that to sawp the files, i use my zips to swap files from comp to comp

yea, Zip is good, i like mine... as you can write over and over.

also, you could burn a CD...

i say drill the hole for the Cat5 cable, and get two network cards..
$5-10 ea. and you'll be all set.

ZIP, LS-120, CD-R, DD-R, or tape backup.

Actually got to see a high-performance tape backup in progress the other night, can't remember the manufacturer though, I want to say Panasonic for some reason, any it was a DLT-1 tape drive that took 4GB/8GB carts (uncompressed/compressed). It was smoking along at 250MB per minute, backed up about 8GB in 30 minutes. The verification process was the longest part though.

Those are just a few non-network solutions. You could also buy a nice 40 or 80GB hard drive and put it in a USB enclosure. 80GB of portable space.

~RT~

tape backups are REALLY expensive!!!

100Mb Zip... if the size suits your needs, is probably cheapest way... the drives are outdated, as they've come out w/250Mb Zips

the 250 is backward compatible...
but the 100 is selling for under $50..

CD-R is the smartest, in that there's MANY other uses, but the downside is burning a disc, for a 100Mb file...
so CD-RW would be better.
you can also use "multi-session packet write" but in the process of trying to figure out that one,
i created like four coasters... LOL
we'll just file that idea under "G"

superdisk... that LS-120... i dont see it as cost effective as a Zip100
i may be wrong, but it was'nt cheap, what i remember seeing for drives.

also, a USB external Zip100 <cost under $50> is removeable,
and transportable to ANY system w/USB...
and no software is required, just plug it into the port,
and its all set!!!
so you only need one drive for as many systems as you can find :)

Note:
a $1300. tape drive, or a $700 DVD-R do not apply
for this man only needs to share a few files to another PC...
thanks for the ideas tho... LOL

Or you could use SuperDisk. I've never had any experiance with theese, but they hold 120Mb of space, and they work as your floppy drive too. But I'd do the Zip thing. I think more people have Zip than SuperDisk.

Have you looked into netgear? I am almost positive they make wireless hubs... I went to Office Depot today for school supplies, and saw some wireless hubs. I think Netgear made them. Look around in some computer stores, they might have some.

JigPu

there is a far cheaper alternative... you could buy to removable HDD bays and swap a single HDD between the 2 machines for around $50

how would that work? LOL

to take a HDD to another machine, you'd pull the existing drive out.
so what would you transfer the file to?

n2 said:
how would that work? LOL

to take a HDD to another machine, you'd pull the existtheing drive out.
so what would you transfer the file to?
The removeable drives ports go into a 5.25 bay and are connected to the mobo as an additional drive. When you remove the drive to take it to another pc it's exactly like taking a zip disk out to take it to another zip drive. The good thing about this setup is the transfer speeds possible because you can install 7200 rpm ATA 100 drives if your motherboards chipset is current enough. If it isn't you can add a Promise ata100 controller card and install the drive to it. The controller will show as an SCSI controller in your device manager. All of this will have to happen to each pc for it to work. Visit www.tigerdirect.com. They carry several setup of this kind or you can order a catalog by calling 1-800-888-4437.

Last edited:
Back