• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Converting a Vapo Mount to an 8800GTX evaporator mount?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dominick32

Senior Solid State Aficionado
Does anyone have any ideas of where I can buy or create a new evaporator and mounting system to convert my Vapo into a GPU cooler for the 8800GTX?

Thanks in advance guys.

Dom

Thanks for the review. I plan on giving extreme GPU cooling a shot. I guess mounting my existing clamshell could work on the 8800GTX if I figure out a way to get solid evap contact and decent insulation. hmmm.

G,
I am going back and forth between OC'ing the QX6700 or the 8800GTX, and I am leaning towards the 8800 as of tonight. I dont see the need to overclock a quad core CPU right now more than 3.1 on air. But an 8800 GPU, now that could get interesting. hehe

Keep in mind slapping an incorrectly tuned vapo (thats tuned for a smaller load) on your video card it may very well choke like it does on heavily volted quad cores and send the temperatures sky rocking. It's not like other cooling where hotter source just means your cooler will still work but just wont get you as cool. I think the vapo starts to have problems around 200w mark.

As for gpu evaps chilly1 on XS sells some nice low profile evaps, might want to shoot him a pm see what he has.

Last edited:
Pf.Farnsworth said:
Keep in mind slapping an incorrectly tuned vapo (thats tuned for a smaller load) on your video card it may very well choke like it does on heavily volted quad cores and send the temperatures sky rocking. It's not like other cooling where hotter source just means your cooler will still work but just wont get you as cool. I think the vapo starts to have problems around 200w mark.

As for gpu evaps chilly1 on XS sells some nice low profile evaps, might want to shoot him a pm see what he has.

Thanks bud.
My Vapo has been pretty solid for me as far as massive heat load. I can run benchies for up to 2 hours at 4.65 Ghz and 1.80 vcore on the E6700. Bios recorded CPU temps encroach -14*C idle @ 1.86 vcore which is 10 degrees more efficient compared to the stock vapo @ -4*C idle bios cpu temp. For comparison: Bios CPU temp @ 1.4vcore = -45* to -50*C idle.

Probed evap at 1.85 vcore sustain -47*C maximum load temp @ 4.65GHz so the unit is very efficient.

What is thermal output on the 8800 GPU's? Thanks for bringing this up, but I truly thought the modded Vapo would have plenty of oomph for a GPU setup.

Dom

jinu stated that the cap tube in your system is sized for 150W load d.

dominick32 said:
Thanks bud.
My Vapo has been pretty solid for me as far as massive heat load. I can run benchies for up to 2 hours at 4.65 Ghz and 1.80 vcore on the E6700. Bios recorded CPU temps encroach -14*C idle @ 1.86 vcore which is 10 degrees more efficient compared to the stock vapo @ -4*C idle bios cpu temp. For comparison: Bios CPU temp @ 1.4vcore = -45* to -50*C idle.

Probed evap at 1.85 vcore sustain -47*C maximum load temp @ 4.65GHz so the unit is very efficient.

What is thermal output on the 8800 GPU's? Thanks for bringing this up, but I truly thought the modded Vapo would have plenty of oomph for a GPU setup.

Dom

E6700 is not a quad core and doesn't match a heavily volted quad heat load but its worth a try, never to late to resize-replace the cap line :)

Very anxious to see your results, don't make us wait too long :sn:

greenmaji said:
jinu stated that the cap tube in your system is sized for 150W load d.

Thats what I was thinking. I don't own a 8800GTX, what is the heat load like stock? Volted? I was under impression its closer to 200w stock and over 200w if volted.

I don't know were to look up TDP and VID info on GPU's or I would be happy to help calulate heatload :)

Strange thing is.. I think he's considering running it 24/7.

I think the CPU will need the phase more to prevent a system bottleneck for 24/7 use.

Changed my mind again. Very impulse.
I think I may go for plan #1 again, and have Viper John build me a TEC/Water kit for my 8800. And maybe have Jin re-tune and change cap size on my Vapochill for quad core TDP.

First things first, I am going to get the 8800GTX situated. Than I can work on the CPU from there.

Thanks guys. Of course you know I will be keeping you posted on any/all of my results.

Dom

Viper does really nice work and his preices are good i was talking to him yesterday , thats what I want for my next system viper tec on Gfx and Phase on cpu =)

greenmaji said:
Hay Dom, whats your GHz and Vcore use goals on the Q6700?

First I would like to get my 8800GTX all ready for prime time. Than I can work on the processor. But I am thinking running about the same vcore as I ran on my E6700 for 24/7 usage: 1.62

So basically, I will shoot for a maximum 24/7 clock using from 1.55 to 1.65 vcore depending on heat. This is all just speculation until I mount the Vapo. What do you think a reasonable GHz goal would be Maji on a quad core, also assuming that Jin Re-tunes my Vapo?

Dom

I was trying to give you and Jinu a heatload to shoot for.. I was thinking maybe 4.2Ghz.

Stock Freqency being 2.66Ghz
TDP 130W
Your CPU's VID ???? (looked it up.. 1.350 from your Intel CPU thread)
Vcore used 1.65 max (this might be a good way of looking up stable clock results)

spec finder results
http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9UL

/edit.. I'll get to calculating it here in a bit.

307 Watts Heat Load @ 4.2Ghz and 1.65Vcore

calcuate heat load linky
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=4882982&postcount=4

Last edited:
Back